Right Side Pain For A Year....

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello everyone,

Just as the title says I have had a deep, persistent ache on my right side between where my rib cage ends and my hips begin for the past year.

Initially I was told that I was suffering from gallstones (this was after a brief examination by a doctor who checked my urine and examined my abdomen for point tenderness). I was told not to worry and to visit my GP for an ultrasound in the event that the pain worsened.

So I changed my diet (tried to avoid fatty foods as much as I could) and suffered the pain for a few months until it started affecting my sleep. I cannot lay down on my right side, or on my back without intense pain upon waking. I also can't sit in one position for too long without pain.

Then I noticed a slight swelling on my right side (more towards my back) that is imperceptible to the naked eye, but I can feel the difference when I examine myself.

So I went to my GP and he scheduled an ultrasound which came back negative for gallstones!! I have now had blood taken and am waiting for a CT scan referral as he thinks there might be an issue with my kidneys. However, he is suggesting it might be kidney stones but the pain is not that intense, my urine is quite clear and I feel no discomfort when I urinate.

The pain is nagging and deep and utterly annoying as it sometimes pulsates and then moves around. Sometimes I have 'flare-ups' of pain where its more uncomfortable and I can feel it deeply, but mostly it is just a persistent ache which feels better with movement.

Has anyone else experienced this?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I am in a similar predicament. Nearly 12 months of right sided ache that goes in between my shoulder blades. Clear Endoscopy, Colonoscopy, Abodominal Ultrasound and yesterday had a normal Hida Scan. Waiting now for a CT. I am at my wits end with it

• Posted

Have you had a liver function blood test? Did they look at your liver in the ultrasound? It just sounds like it may be a possibility there could be a problem as it is on the right side. Are you on any medication which could affect you liver or kidneys?

• Posted

My 30 year old special needs son has been having similar problems. Gp kept saying it was his meds. ended up being colitis. This can cause pain in hoints and other places in your body. He has had pain for over a year.

• Posted

Thanks for the replies everyone,

• I'm on omeprazole but I haven't been on it very long, only since Tuesday. Other than that I don't take any other meds.
    • I've never been tested for liver function and I don't know if the ultrasound covered it.
    • I doubt it's trapped gas as I've been experiencing these symptoms for such a long time, and I've never thought about it being a hernia (my father and brother have both suffered from it)
    • I will look up the symptoms of colitis but my pain is not joint related, its deep in the tissue

Heat (applying a warm compress or hot water bottle) sometimes seems to be the only thing that offers me some relief. If I'm up and moving it also seems to help. Its driving me nuts because I can't get comfortable when I'm resting at all! The area just feels sore and sensitive and tender.

• Posted

Things haven't gotten any better, I have developed severe heartburn that won't go away. My doctor put me on omeprezole at the beginning of December for some reason, I wasn't presenting with any of the symptoms I am now at the time.

I literally have heartburn all day every day and nothing gives me any relief, I have tried everything and I am at my wits end from the pain and being fobbed off by doctors. I really don't know what to do anymore and I'm scared as I've never experienced this before.

• Posted

Melissa, first i hope you are better.

four years later as i am looking for answers i stumbled across this page .

your post..... i could have written myself.

ive had colonospy, Dr thought it was kidney stones, not after ultrasound CT scan did indicate mild liver stetosis, though my liver enzymes are ok the two doctors dont seem to be concerned with that . I wont describe my pain because word for word its what you described

please, did you find out your problem?

thanks, Sherry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.