right side pain nearly 4 months after surgery

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi there

Just wanted some advice on an issue I am having. I had the gallbladder out 4 months ago and it took me a long time to heal. Now I am all good except for some pain on the right hand side. It's in my back near where the liver is? and around the front right hip area. Its there most of the time but not always and it gets worse if I move around a lot or sometimes sitting in the car will make it bad. It has improved as its not there all the time but just wondered if anyone else had this. Not sure if it's from the surgery or back pain from spending so long in bed recovering.

Thanks

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

yes infact. im goin to ask u straight out.Is ur Bowels moving.? after a year i got bowel probs again.which can cause nausea and pain. in side.also liver.when they took mine out doc said I was starting. non alcoholic cirohsis of liver. I think once they open u up. put the camera. in an did u have a belly button scar bout 2 inches and 2 others. i did got infected.so really id go ask why ur having this. maybe something was left in you.honestly i feel like i have my gall bladder at times. cant eat certain foods.if your liver is fine. then find out. are they sharp stabbing pains? cause that will come before a bowel movement after G bladder surgery. hoping its just that. stay golden.
  • Posted

Hi, I have exactly the same. I had my Gb out 5 months ago. I was referred to the gastro and they have done an MRI. I get the results on thursday. I am also having the camera down on the 10th feb. I feel that mine is a bowel problem  whihc causes this but why I have no idea but I am wondering about gastritis. I find sitting in the car makes it worse and when it gets really bad I cant even sit up against anything. Before my GB op I had  consitpation issues and these havent gone away. Do you get any other digestive symtpms like burping etc ?
    • Posted

Yes yes,Infact I get gas pain so bad.it feels like a heart attack I have to keep COKE with me or in fridge at all times.I had the camera down my throat. an 1 placed in belly when they took out GB.Jane I can barely swallow any pill. I choke on everything.see i do take a opoid medicine which gives me bowel blockage.alot. people dont know they have it, you feel like u need to move bowels but u cant.you will get nausea.chills.bloating on 1 or both sides.you can have a bowel movement and have bowel blockage. its crazy.but its true. so do u take any opoid med?or catapress clonapin xanax.having hemmroids or fizzures doesnt help.ok let me know how you all are coming along.
  • Posted

Me too. I had gallbladder removed end of April last year.

I am better than I was but still stomach ache and pain in right side sometimes.

Have recently been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia.

To be honest, I think it is just something I am going to have to live with and as I say I am certainly better than I was with the gallstones.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xxx

• Posted

Hi Sarah, omg me too.when i had my colonosopy and and upper GI. before i had G bladder removed it.which is required in Pa. they found Gurd. acid reflex.oh lord how i suffer with this.some mornings I bend over an coffee comes right up an out my throat.I dont care once a doctor opens you up. like cancer it spreads.an yes youll live with it the rest of ur life.Gall bladder is a nasty Disease.you can not live with it.sick 24/7. so happy you wrote an stay in touch. now if the right pain goes down the BUM muscles thats a Sciatic Nerve. i have those.my daughter is a nurse. I bother her 24/7 im no Hypochrondriac. but have diabetis.rotor cuff pain.arthristis. ciatic nerve pain.just got over bronchitis an sinunitis. doin great now. just rotor cuff pain. ok girls lol.have a  BLESSED DAY i am 58 ib=n Feb,so things r hitting me.Sarah did you keep your gallstones lol?
    • Posted

They do not let you keep the stones now,health and safety reasons so goodbye and good riddance to them!!

Sarah

• Posted

Can I ask how old you are. I am having my gall bladder removed in 2 weeks and I am 72 and getting cold feet reading about all the problems people are having. Is it worse the older you are I wonder. I am otherwise healthy apart fro arthritis in hands etc. 
    • Posted

Christine, please do not worry, if you need your gallbladder out you need it out.

I know a quite a few people who had their's out with no issue, nothing.  My Auntie had hers removed when she was about 70, no dramas or no follow up issues. 

I had mine removed when I was younger, early 40's but had a horrible time with the operation, recovered fine, then have a big issue now.  I have come to believe that a lot of people have issues if the gallbldder is infected when it is removed.  My understanding is that is why sometimes they like people to get rid of the infection before they operate.  Others, like me, they have to take out there and then because they are on the verge of bursting and that is dangerous.

I do not believe that age is an issue.  As you say, you are healthy otherwise, sorry to hear about your arthritis by the way.

If you are having real issues, you will notice straightaway the difference when the gallbladder is gone.

Remember, people only tend to look for answers on the internet when they have or ar having issues.  People rarely look into things when they've had a good experience or recovery.

I wish you good luck with everything.

• Posted

I had surgery two months ago to have a resection of the small intestine and tumors in my stomach and liver. I don't have a gallbladder but that pain everyone is talking about I have had forever just as severe.  In one of the discussions I read someone says its the diet, too much fat.  Everyone has had every test done and no one has found anything,  I am just noticing that it is too much fat.  When I went to the er because of too much pain I had had tamales that day and I am trying to gain weight so I am eating everything. That pain is back again I am going to try the diet to control fat intake.  I am not suggesting thats what it is but at least you don't have to take all kind of tests, pills nor have surgery just a cook book telling you how to do it.
  • Posted

I was talking to a friend today who had her GB removed 30 years ago.  She said she still gets a bit of an ache in that area occasionally but it's very low key and not troublesome.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.