Right sided pain in appendix area

Posted , 1 user is following.

Has anyone had right sided pain in the appendix area but have no appendix? I had mine removed 3 years ago but am experiencing the same pain. My stomach swells like I’m 5 months pregnant and I get pain in my back on the right side too. All my blood tests are normal but I have had some rectal bleeding. I keep being told it’s IBS because it doesn’t hurt when I push on the side. It feels deep inside and constantly nagging. I’m sure the drs think I’m making it up but it’s really distressing me now sad Can anyone help? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The doctors are quick to diagnose IBS without carrying out a CT scan and/or colonoscopy.  Although it's rare, right sided pain could be due to Diverticular Disease (DD), and the tests are the only way to determine whether or not you have diverticula and possible inflammation without infection, which can still cause pain.  Don't know where you are based or what sort of insurance cover you have, but a CT scan would rule out DD.  The symptoms of both are very similar.  If you look on the Diverticula Forum you will see many people there were initially diagnosed with IBS (I was one of them many years ago until tests showed I had DD 16 years ago).  It is possible to have both as well.

In the meantime suggest you keep a food diary to see if certain foods trigger the symptoms, have a look at the FODMAP diet, and try to reduce stress in your life.  Exercise like Pilates or yoga can help that.  I also find a good old fashioned relaxing massage is very theraputic.  My symptoms were greatly reduced by cutting out gluten and full fat products.  Best wishes.

• Posted

I've since seen your post on the sigmoidoscopy, so I guess you don't have DD otherwise you would have been told.  That brings it right back to adjusting your diet and reducing stress I'm afraid.  You might find the IBS forum of more help.

• Posted

Thank you for your help I will look the diet up. I did try Gluten/dairy free fir a month but it didn’t help at the time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.