right upper abdominal pain, acid reflux

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there..I have been having severe pain in my right upper abdominal pain, blood test came normal except that I have iron deficiency and anemic. Doctor suggests iron deficiency can cause muscle cramps, but the right side abdominal pain is frequent and unbearable. Also I get burps all the time and usually once a week i have severe acitidty(acid reflux). Doctor wont refer me for ultrasound as blood test came out normal. I am in pain daily. Can gases cause such pain? or is it any other issues. Any advice would be helpful.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

How strange the doctor wont refer you for a scan, as many problems dont show up in blood tests, not that your was normal if shows your aneamic through iron deficency, got to be a  reason for that, which might not be connected to the pain.  Did the doctor suggest a gall bladder problem, that could account for the pain and digestive problems, l think gas can cause quite bad pain, and def burping,  If the pain is so frequent and severe it sounds like you do need a scan or scope to find cause., l cant understand why the doc wouldnt arrange that for you. l guess youve been given  tablets for the aneamia, if it doesnt improve soon go back and let the doc know, If it becomes too unbearable you could always go into a and e when really bad. Hope it improves soon or you find cause and solution. 
    • Posted

Before the blood test the GP suggested gallbladder problem but after the bloodtest she said it may be iron deficiency causing the abdominal pain. I did go to ER too one night when the pain got too bad but all they did was give me 5 to 6 pain killers which made me feel drowsy and advised me to see the GP next morning and get referral for ultrasound. Noone seems to help. 

I have been given iron supplements too and blood test show thyroid problem too. GP just gave referral for ultrasound of thyroid but i see no connection with the abdominal pain.

• Posted

i,m sorry its such a battle for you, and others, been there myself with severe symptoms of pain and poor health, where no diagnoses found, and went on a long time, far too long when it affected me ]family and lifestyle very badly, finally a scope diagnosed the problem.  Some things are just not easy to diagnose, and blood tests miss lots of health problems. Think you need scan of abdomen or scope of digestive tract,

but its getting gp to refer you, l also understand the feeling that your not getting help and left to it.  Have you someone in your family, or a good friend who can go into gps with you, sometimes help if someone else can support you, we dont always feel at our strongest when we go to gps due to health problems. But if bad l think it ok to go back to a and e, theyll at least know its not a one off, and might scan you there.  Best wishes.

• Posted

I have had GERD for over 40 years and have the same severe pain in the right upper abdominal pain and I am also iron deficiency and anemic.  I have had so many tests and they did find that I have a heitial hernia but it isn't that big that it should be causing the pain.

I did go to ER one night as the pain was so bad I thought I was having a heart attack and they did all kinds of test and said I had a real bad case of GERD.  If your GP won't do the tests I would go to the ER if it gets that bad.  You shouldn't have to suffer because your blood test is normal.

I hope you get some relief soon.

• Posted

I have been given iron supplements too and blood test show thyroid problem too. GP just gave referral for ultrasound of thyroid but i see no connection with the abdominal pain.

I did go to ER too one night when the pain got too bad but all they did was give me 5 to 6 pain killers panadiene and what not, which made me feel drowsy and advised me to see the GP next morning and get referral for ultrasound. Noone seems to help. 

• Posted

Hi snez

When people write on the forum regarding severe acid reflux, heartburn and pain HPylori immediately comes to mind as these are the three main symptoms of HPylori. If HP is not dealt with it can lead on to gastric ulcers. Go back to your doc and ask for a breath test, stool test or endoscopy. A blood test for HP is not always reliable. .....best wishes for a speedy diagnosis...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.