Right upper quadrant pain for years

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there, so I've been to the doc a few times over the last 4 years with a cramp like pain in my right side under the ribs..but it's on the side not in the front. I notice when I eat unhealthy foods the pain is worse. It normally comes in waves and isn't an every day thing but can last hours. I've had 2 ultrasounds a Ct scan and a colonoscopy and all have come up clear. My thought is gallbladder as that is the only thing  left. I do have a relatively unhealthy diet and was wondering if since nothing has shown up on all of my tests..blood included that I could fix it by changing diet. Also shouldn't those tests have picked up gallstones?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi adam12065

Yes ultrasound would have pucked up gall stones...good idea change your diet to gluten free, lactose free, wheat free, sugar free, caffeine free, take probiotics..no spicey foods or fizzy drinks....go for chicken and a little red meat cooked in olive oil also fish...salads veggies some fruit not too much at one time can ferment in gut and cause gas also too much broc and sprouts cause gas..just small portions at one time....biopot yogurts multi vits..best wishes....

• Posted

I feel your pain.  Ive actually been eating healthier lately although I tend to eat pretty healthy and low fat most of the time.  Mine doesn't seem totally linked to food it just comes and goes lately every day and a lot of nerve stabbing pain.  Hope you get answers.  I can't believe I have to wait til October to see my gastro.

• Posted

An ultrasound and HIDA scan would pick up gallbladder problems.  If these are negative, then your gallbladder is likely to be healthy especially if your ultrasound was clear.  You would have been told if there was something wrong with your gallbladder.
  • Posted

Thanks for the responses guys..my mother has had a history of IBS -D like symptoms and so I have thought it was just ibs since the docs haven't found anything wrong. The location of the pain made me think it was my gallbladder. Guess if there's nothing visibly wrong with the organ I gotta be okay. Need to lay off the fatty foods.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.