Rigid colon?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi so glad to find this group. I'm very new to this so please point me in the right direction if my question has been discussed.

Had colonscopy (not my first) yesterday but md couldn't continue it due to "rigid colon with diverticulosis" now need a CT colonscopy. I understand that procedure but don't understand the "rigid colon" part. Anyone diagnosed with this?

I'm 62 years old, many years of GI problems without a diagnosis, lost 25 pounds. Thank you for any answers

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Colonoscopy and sigmoidoscopy are screening tests that use a thin flexible tube with a camera at the end to look at the colon or the sigmoid.  Sounds like they’ll be using a rigid not a flexible scope,  so it sounds like you’re having a rigid  sigmoidoscopy ....  it’s to get a better look..
  • Posted

Deb, it sounds like they couldn't complete the procedure because of tightness in your colon.  I had the same problem, and had to have 3 attempts before they completed mine.  I was told that diverticular disease makes the colon more rigid, and this may make a colonoscopy more 'challenging' ie 'uncomfortable'.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.