Rigid cystoscopy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey ya’ll,

I had an unexpected visit to emergency yesterday following a fall from my bike while out on the track. Long story short I went over the handle bars and landed half on my bike. I took a blow in the tummy just above my boy parts and had immediate sharp pain and shortly after was peeing blood in the toilet. I tried to ignore it for a bit but it was getting sorer so I told dad and we went to the hospital together. They were really good, I had a CT and some pretty good stuff for the pain but not before some doctor made me drop my pants and he had a look and a feel.  They made me p**s into a jar and the urology doc was worried when he saw the blood. After some more waiting he came back and told me he wanted to use a small camera to have a look inside my bladder. I was a bit confused at first what he meant thinking it would be another scan/x-ray type thingy but when he described it I realized he litterally was going to put a camera inside me haha! We were taken to a different room and I was told to have a seat on the bed. 2 nurses came in and asked a bunch more wuestions about stuff before they wrapped a hot blanket around my chest, tucking my arms down by my sides while this guy suddenly grabbed my waist and yanked my jeans and underpants down with no warning! It was quite sudden and embarrasing to be honest. He grabbed my ankles and bent my legs open on the table so my parts were on display. The doc came back in and squirted some cold numbing jelly into my pee hole which felt really weird. He then showed me the camera which to my amazement was huge! Litteraly the size of my finger, i was still in disbelief. By this point dad was holding my hands near my head while the nurse had his hand pressing lightly on my chest. It was all a bit sureall. As a 15 year old  I couldnt think of anything worse then being seen naked in front of a group of people let alone having something forcefully shoved down my penis! The doc said to count to 3 slowely while he grabbed ahold of me with one hand and slipped the camera rod inside my tip and pushed it all the way in.  The pain was sudden and excrutiating, I remember thr nurse putting his hand on my chest and knees to stop me moving. Every time he pushed the camera in a little further he would pull my penis up the scope towards him which made it hurt even more. There was a whole heap of moving the camera up, down, around before he pulled it out and said “all done mate.” He couldnt see any damage. I was wuite teary towards the end. They cleaned me up and let me get up off the table. Next they told me I had to stay overnight so they could keep an eye on the bleeding and they wanted to flush my bladder out as well. After some more waiting dad took me up to my ward bed where i would be staying snd a nurse changed me into a gown and took my clothes away. Another doc came in and told me he was going to have to put a catheter in to flush my bladder out. I couldnt think of snythig worse by now. So eventually with some pursuasion from dad I ended up laying on the bed and letting them shove this little rubber tube down inside, it hurt a little but no where near as bad as the hard camera. They hung a big fluid bag above the bed which drained into the catheter and they put another bag on the end of my tube and hung it off the side of the bed. It constantly felt like I had to pee as all the wash ran into my bladder but the nurse said to try ignoring it.  So I slept over and got a good feed and some more tablets and got woken up every few hours while the nurse came in and emptied my catheter bag. In the morning the doc came around and pulled the catheter out and said I could go home now. 

I did some digging around online and found out i had had a rigid cystoscopy yesterday and had a foley catheter left in last night. Its really wuite painful when I pee now and theres still a little blood but its gradually getting better. Doc said it’s likely i bruised my bladder during the fall. 

Has anyone else had a rigid and how do you stop the stinging everytime i go to the loo???

-Jordan

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Poor guy...hope you are feeling better. The pain should go away after a day or two. Those procedures can be horrible.
  • Posted

First of all I feel sorry for what they did to you.  They should have explained things more to you.  I had the same thing happen to me in 2014 when I was 58 and had a nurse stuff a catheter in me without saying a work  It has been 4 years and I still will not forget it.  I have scopes done all the time but it is a regular one.   It's the size of the inside of a pen.  A ridge cystoscopy you are suppose to be but out and they could have but the catheter in after.  I would rather have a catheter put in when i'm out then when I am awake.  If you can try not to think about it.  I would have your father write a letter to the hospital because at your young age they should have been more aware of what they were doing to you.  Why didn't your father say something to the nurse or the doctor.  Coming in and just ripping your pants off with out saying what they were going to do is wrong.  They should have asked your permission to do anything to your body.  Take care drink a lot of water.  Ken      

• Posted

Yeah I hear what youre saying. There wasn’t a lot of explaining of why sfuff was being done or anything. I felt like everyone including dad all knew what was going on except me. They just got on with it. Like when they took me to the room before the scope all the nurses said was “cmon lets get you ready.” That could have meant anything hence when they stripped my pants off on the table my natural reaction was to grab at my pants and cover my groin but dad pulled my hands away and told me to calm down. And before the doc put the camera in he said this will be a bit sore but its nessessry and wont tske long. I was freaking out a bit so dad grabbed my hands again and the nurse held me down on the table as the camera went in. 

I got the impression my fsther knew what they were wanting to do and agreed with it and knew that I wouldn’t have been comfortable with it regardless so they just got on with it cos it was important. Bonus of being a kid I guess!

I would love to have been put to sleep for it all. Still not comfortable with the idea of random people seeing me and touching my parts asleep or awake but that pain when the camera first goes in was something I could have gone without. It was like an intense stabbing pain when he forced the camera past the tip. Felt like everything was really tight and being stretched, not something i want to experiance again!

The burning is still there when I pee and I have had 2 episodes today where p**s came out uncontrollably and I kinnda wet myself. It was only a little before i was able to control it. Parent’s said it was normal straight after the procedure. Dad even joked and said he’d have to put me back in diapers if it keeps happening haha! could you imagine?!

• Posted

I'm sorry but you are not a little kid. Your not 6 or 7 your 15 years old. You do have a mine of your own and would understand what is going on.  When you were put in the room and the nurses said we have to get you ready.  Did you ask for what.  They should have said we did you to take your pants off so we can get you ready for the doctor.  Not just take them off.  That is not the way they are suppose to do it. And for a ridge cystoscopy you are suppose to be out because it is painful.   What they did is tell your father what was going on and got his permission which is right because you are under 18 but your father should have told them to explain it to you.  Your father was wrong.  They should have gotten your permission. Also.  I have 2 sons and I would not have let them done that to you.  When I had that happen to me with the catheter.  They never talked to me or my son that was with me they never told me what they were going to do.  Let you said they just pulled your pants down.  Me to.  I wrote a letter to the hospital.  They still know who I am.  I did the same like you did go in the internet.  I looked up the procedure for having a catheter put in.  They are suppose to tell you what they are doing and why and if you say no they are not suppose to do it.  They have to get your permission.  If your father or mother will not write a letter to the hospital.  Do it yourself.  You have a right to do it.  It is your body and no one should disrespect it.  Hope you feel better.  What hospital did this happen.  Let I said drink a lot of water or juice to clear it up.  With the wetting problem if you want.  If you ware briefs roll up some bathroom paper and just put it in the front of the under ware it may help  Ken  PS  Tell your father it's not funny. .    

• Posted

Good morning.  Well it's all most a week just checking how are you feeling.  I just want to check on you.  You were done wrong.  Did you write a letter to that hospital.  You need to.  I hope you feel better.  Remember what I said.  Time will heal all.  You may still remember what happy but it will get better.  Take care  Ken

• Posted

It was probably a flexible cystoscope because they generally put men to sleep when they use a rigid. Both can be uncomfortable but the rigid is far worse. You might want to ask if they used a rigid or flexible.  Some discomfort afterward is to be expected but if the stinging continues I would call the doctor and ask for a urine culture to check for a UTI (infection). Did they give you a pill to take (antibiotics) at the time of the cystoscopy? That helps prevent an infection, but not always.

Jim

• Posted

Cant be certain but i think it was a rigid. It looked like a metal rod with a little light on the end. There was a tv screen above me and the camera was plugged into a big white box thing on wheels. You’re right it does hurt like crazy! It was a pretty wide scope and to be honest I didnt think it would fit inside. He just grabbed my parts and forced this thing down even tho it felt really tight and painful, he just pushed harder while pulling my dick up the metal rod.

And no i wasnt given any pill to take before/afyer etc...

Its been a few days since noe and the stinging is pretty much gone, just a little sometimes. 

Thanks for thr tip!

• Posted

Ask for your cystoscopy report. It should mention there what they used. You want a copy of the report anyway. If not mentioned, call office and ask the nurse. If it was a rigid, the doctor is a barbarian and you might look elsewhere next time. In my next post I'll post pictures of both a rigid and flexible scope but it might take a day or two for it to be reviewed by moderators.

Jim

• Posted

Jordan.  What you described to me sound like a ridge.  It is a metal rod.  If it was a flexible it would be a small black tube like with a camera on the end.  I get that one all the time.  When my doctor does that the nurse come in and put a numbing gel in and would clap the penis to hold it in.  After the doctor would come in 5 or 10 minutes to give it time to work. I think they are stopping Jim from putting something on here don't know.  Has things go on you will forget the pain but what happen to you will be with you for a while.  I know you are only 15 but you have the right to know what anything is being done to your body.  Holding you down on the table was work.  Where are you at.  Are you in the US or out of the country.  Time will heal all.  Take it easy  Ken   

• Posted

Sorry Jordan.  That is suppose to be Holding you down on the table was wrong.  You Father should have know better.  Ken
  • Posted

I am sorry you had to go through that.  You should speak with your dad and ask him all your questions, he may know that answers and might have a very good reason why he let that happen the way it did, it is a good possibility that he was scared as you.  As a parent I have had to make the tough calls where it came to my children treatments but at 15 I am surprised that your were not told more.   Yes it does sound like you had a rigid scope, they are about the size of a Sharpie marker and hurt like h*ll going in.

You should be feeling better soon if your not already.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.