Ring pessary for prolapse not a success

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi has anyone have an idea of where I can go to alleviate my uterine prolapse. i have tried twice to have the pessary fitted but my body seemed to reject it and it just kept leaking clear liquid. i am having to apply Dermovate to that area for three months and I am concerned that this steroid cream is coming into contact with the prolapsed uterus. i would love it if the uterus was in the correct place but cant think of any other solution other than that i have tried. I am 83 years old by the way and very fit and active.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Bless your heart, Bianca. Im so sorry you are going through this.

I am afraid that the only long term solution to your prolapse is a hysterectomy. I had the same problem in my early 40's. It seemed to happen overnight. I had two sons, vaginally, eleven years earlier, with the second son weighing 10 pounds and 4 ounces, 23 1/2 inches long. I basically delivered a toddler!

I was experiencing some mild stress incontinence and then bam, my uterus prolapsed and my cervix protruded from my vagina after snow skiing - lots of pushing down....

I went to various doctors and they fitted me with a pesserie, like you. I hated it. It was inconvenient to insert, it was uncomfortable and overall a miserable experience.

Only option was to get it out, which I did. with your health and fitness level, i highly recommend it. Of course there is risk to any surgical procedure, and your risk level, heart function, age, all of that will be assessed.

Good luck and God bless you. Let us know!

• Posted

Bless your heart, Bianca. Im so sorry you are going through this.

I am afraid that the only long term solution to your prolapse is a hysterectomy. I had the same problem in my early 40's. It seemed to happen overnight. I had two sons, vaginally, eleven years earlier, with the second son weighing 10 pounds and 4 ounces, 23 1/2 inches long. I basically delivered a toddler!

I was experiencing some mild stress incontinence and then bam, my uterus prolapsed and my cervix protruded from my vagina after snow skiing - lots of pushing down....

I went to various doctors and they fitted me with a pesserie, like you. I hated it. It was inconvenient to insert, it was uncomfortable and overall a miserable experience.

Only option was to get it out, which I did. with your health and fitness level, i highly recommend it. Of course there is risk to any surgical procedure, and your risk level, heart function, age, all of that will be assessed.

Good luck and God bless you. Let us know!

• Posted

Dear Bianca, so sorry you are in such discomfort, it truely is a horrible situation. I tried 3 pessaries which either fell out or were almost ranging on painful ☹ the rectocele was worst and apparently pessaries are useless for that. I went for prolapse surgery and fixation/lifting of my cervix and kept my uterus. I feel a lot better now, I'm 63 and in the UK, and would not let age be a barrier, a good urogynae surgeon is essential, hope you have a helpful doctor and get the result you want soon, good luck xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.