ringing in ear and more

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have ringing in my right ear on and off, when it gets really loud I have started to suffer from dizziness and loss of balance, this then lead to motion sickness, does anyone else have this problem and do you have any suggestions that can help, as at the moment when this happens the only thing I casn do is lay down untill the rining quietens and the dizziness stops, this can last for hours?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have you been to ENT?

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

i went to the gp 2 weeks ago and they have requested a refferal for a hearing test and gave me some ear drops for a week
    • Posted

The audiogram (hearing test) is a good first step.  If it shows hearing loss below 2kHz, then it will confirm the presence of Meniere's disease, which has its own specfic treatment.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

It could be anything, NIchola.  Your next step should be to see an ear/nost/throat (ENT) doctor for exam and hearing tests.  Let us know what you find out.  good luck.
  • Posted

I have had the exact same thing for about 10 years now.  After every concivable test and countless visits to speclalists they thought that I had Psedo Tumor Cerebri.  Whish is excessive pressure in the skull due to excessive spinal fluid.  I even had surgery where they drilled a couple of holes in my skull and inserted catheters to drain fluid and pressure monitors to see if it was the problem. After all this I am still no better and my diagnosis is still unknow.  But all the symptoms you have point to Psedo Tumor Cerebri,  I would check with a Neurologist and mention it to them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.