Ringing in ears.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Okay I'm 18 years old and I forgot to wear ear plugs while shooting my ar-15. I shot off around 20 rounds and then I went home barely being able to hear anything. My hearing came back fully along with a ringing and hissing sound in my right ear. I thought it would go away so I waited about 6 weeks. The ringing is very quiet now but the high pitched hissing is just plain annoying. I went to an ent and he said I have no hearing loss at all. Just a little pressure in my ear due to me not being able to hear a certain frequency. He Prescribed me prednisone. I saw nothing but bad reviews on the internet so I decided to wait another week. My docter called me and asked how the medication was going and I said I haven't started yet he said you must take it or the hissing and ringing will never go away. Out of desperation I decided to try these horrible pills. I had to stop after the second day because my anxiety got so bad I felt like I was dying. I had bad flashes and felt ill. So I stopped these terrible pills and the day I stopped, the ringing and hissing suddenly spiked and became unbearable "probably due to stress". It became a little quieter two days later. I'm just wondering do I have hope or do I have permanent tinnitus? And is it too late to start the prednisone again if it's the only way. Pleaseeee help , any advice will be appreciated.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey Brian - I can understand you reluctance to take the prednisone. It certainly is a drug loaded with baggage from A to Z... I think however, you need to stick it out, buckle down and take the med as the doctor prescribed. It will be well worth it if the T goes away forever. Take it from someone that is quite older than you, played drums, used power equipment, target practiced many rounds, all without ear protection and really paying the price now later in life. 

I truly believe you have a good shot at getting rid of the T once and for all if you give the prednisone a chance to do it's job and just be patient. I don't think your damage is permanent. Tinnitus has a way of making it's own stress and I fully understand how it's running it's full course right now with anxiety. Follow the doctor's orders and I think you'll be fine. It's not a good idea to stop and start Prednisone. Finsh all the medications as prescribed. If you're doing a taper, taper off as directed. 

Again, I have lived with the hissing, clicking, crickets, horn blowing, water rushing and a variety of other sounds along with loss of hearing. You are young enough to turn this completely around. 

Good luck and let us know how it's going.

• Posted

Thankyou I appreciate lt. I'm just really confused because I have no hearing loss just swelling. hypothetically, it should just go away on its own? I'm willing to wait months. A doctor online said I might have eustacian tube dysfunction. Would it be bad to wait another month and see what happens?

• Posted

I guess you're asking a question that I'm really not qualified to answer. Typically, if you have T, you have some degree of hearing loss. In your case, you're so lucky not to have any. 

Would it be wise to roll the dice and wait another month to see where you stand?    You might really annoy your doctor if you ask him that.  I do know with T, the sooner the better for treatment.  I do not believe you have permanent T. Again, my suggestion is to listen to your doctor and he/she will give you their best advice. You're young enough to recover from just about anything but sometimes intervention is needed. Our medical professionals are the ones to lead us to the path of recovery.

You have to ask yourself is suffering through a Prednisone prescription is worth not having any issues in your long life ahead. I'm sure you'll make the best decision to be the best you can. If you are highly allergic to prednisone that's another story. Let your doctor know.

• Posted

Yes I thought it through for days. Is it worth suffering through the prednisone? I tried it and I couldent finish it. It was too aweful. I just wanted somebody else's opinion on the matter.. thankyou!

• Posted

HEY, you've checked my story. And I am now checking yours. How is your ear now?

• Posted

It's even louder sad every time there's a loud noise around me like slamming a weight at the gym , etc. How is yours coming z

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.