Ringing in the Ears (Tinnitus)- Going to the Worst Case Scenario - Have Hope

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone!

My name is Jay and I am writing this for the pure reason of when I had a ringing in my ear I assumed the worse and instantly started worrying about permanent hearing loss and all other sorts of negative things. During that time where I felt depressed I was constantly googling stories and cases of the ear ringing for multiple days and most of what I found was negative. That made me feel worse than I already did, and I personally believe that a good attitude and just not thinking about the problem will help it heal. However with all the negativity surrounding this ringing and tinnitus I couldn't stop thinking about it. All I could think about was that dang ringing in my ear and if I would have to live with this ringing for a unforeseeable future.

I got the ringing in my ear the night I want to a EDM concert (has a lot of bass loud speakers). These concerts are around 115 decibels and I believe going above 80 is bad for your ears. Anyway this was my first concert of this kind and of course the first one I go to I end up having a ringing in my ear for multiple days. My friends didn't have it or for some of them it went away after a hour or so. So I was genuinely worried. The concert was on a Friday and I told myself if the ringing wasn't gone by Monday I would go to a doctor. Although based on what I read it doesn't seem like much can be done except make the ringing more bearable. Anyway after around 36 hours there was no change, I was so worried and sad that I just kept sleeping through the weekend, and then I woke up on Sunday morning and the ringing was faded. It was great news to me, this ringing was going away I had hope it would be gone for good. Now after another day or so the ringing is practically gone.

So some people might be wondering what I did, all I did was sleep a lot, and slowly start listening to softer music or some noise so that way my brain wouldn't stay in the habitat of making/hearing that noise. The music was always on low never high, and I didn't start listening to music again until it had faded. I also would go see a doctor if there is no change in a week or so. 

Anyway the whole purpose of this blog thing, is to just say there is a good chance the ringing will go away, just give it time and be happy and keep living your life. I also know many people have had tinnitus for years and they may look at this and be like really, this is what is bothering this person, this is pathetic I lived with this everyday and they can't handle it for a few days. However I know there are some paranoid people out there like me and I just hope this gives them reassurance that everything will be okay. I mean no offense to anyone who might have tinnitus and have had it for quite sometime. I also don't assume to be super knowledgeable or a expert on tinnitus or ear ringing, I am just sharing my experience, seek a doctor before doing anything that may make the problem worse, like I don't even know if I should have listen to music but I did.I just wanted to give hope to anyone who might be paranoid.

Anyway thanks for reading my story/essay thing, I don't know if I will check this that often or if anyone will really read it. I just felt like I had to write this and put it out there. Anyway have a good night and live your life to the fullest!

-Jay

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jay

Thought I would reply just to let you know that someone had read your post. Good that you have positive feelings about your problem. But as you say there are many of us who have to live with this all the time. I agree that being negative is not good as it only makes thing worse but there are times when being negative cannot be helped. Fortunately from my point I have more positive days than negative days so I hope that I manage to keep it this way, All the best to you and don't go to any more loud concerts just take this as a warning of what could happen.

Robin

• Posted

THANK YOU! I am one who had had T. For a yr an half, so probably won't get silence again, but so kind of u 2 help others have hope. I agree, big chance theirs will clear up..mine was due to a high anxiety level from a health scare. So a bit different..thanks again for sharing..

• Posted

How do you know yours came from high anxiety? Do you have it both ears? Are you doing better now?
    • Posted

Well it all started when I had a health scare, had an catscan, day after horrible T. Went to Ent, he said I had high pitch hearing liss. But it's funny to me how my nightmare started right after the huge anxiety and catscan. I even wondered if possible reaction 2 the dye..who knows..ENT says hearing loss but why right after the scare and catscan?

• Posted

Yes both ears..yes, same but some days it's bad. Am learning relaxation techniques to get me thru bad days. Mostly it's tolerable. Have had it long enough that iv been able to tune it out.

• Posted

So you believe, once your tinnitus is triggered, via stress, anxiety etc... it's hear to stay for ever?

• Posted

When I first went to my ENT I had already had it for about 4 months. He told me chances are since I had it tht long, chances are it wasn't going away and that was over a year ago, so yea, hate to say I believe mine prob is..but not saying tht for others.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.