Ringworm

Posted , 3 users are following.

Since September 2016 I have tried/been prescribed many various creams for ringworm. Am now taking oral terbinafine, and have been advised blood test and follow up in a months time. I am concerned at the length of time this is taking. I am in my 60's, and have not been able to attend my usual twice weekly aqua exercise class since this started. I am aware my mobility is being affected due to lack of aqua exercise which I have found very beneficial in the past. 

Does anyone else on the forum have a similar history?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My friends son got rid of it with clotrimaderm and it never came back. I had to put bleach on my skin for 5 minutes to kill a yeast infection on my skin because creams and oral antifungals didn't help. Bleach will scar your skin though.

• Posted

Thanks Cayla7190.

Until you have something like this you don't realise how frustrating it is.

Gosh, I would never have thought of bleach.

• Posted

If the location of the fungal infection is close to a skin fold I would recommend applying an anti-fungal powder to keep the area dry. 

Fungal spores lurk in places that often get moist and come into contact with others that have ringworm. Such places are for example the seating area of gym equipment, the benches in changing rooms of swimming pools, public toilet seats, etc. It is best to avoid any direct skin contact with such areas.

Ringworm occurs most frequently on the buttocks, inner thighs, and the groin area. I contracted ringworm on my upper thigh after sitting on a gym bench wearing shorts.

It took about 2 - 3 weeks to get rid of the infection using topical antifungal cream (I think it was Lamisil). This never happened again after I started wearing long sports trousers to the gym. I never sit on benches in changing areas and I never place my wet towel directly on the seating area. 

Hope you get well soon. I can empathise, I remember the itching was unbearable. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Dan.

Thankfully it doesn't itch!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.