Ripple Mapping for AF

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello Everyone, 

long story short: 

- Im 35 year old woman 

- I had a mini stroke and was then diagnosed with AF in 2016

- I currently have AF and Tachycardia 

- I have had 3 cardioversions

- I've had 3 ablations (2 for AF 1 for Flutter) 

- I cannot take beta blockers (they make my heart pause for long periods of time - tried lots of different ones - none work) 

- I suffer from AF daily with rates of between 140 - 170bpm

So as you can see i'm quickly running out of options...... next step for me is a 4th ablation with ripple mapping and i just wondered if anyone else has had this procedure? I am lead to believe that this is a new procedure so was just looking to see if any one had more knowledge? I know its basically a vest you wear that maps out the electrical currents more clearly so they can decide where to ablate. 

Would love to hear from anyone who has had multiple ablations or has words of wisdom smile 

Lynn x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Lynn, God bless u. You have been thru so much. 

I, too, had heart pauses and for that they inserted a pacemaker, which has fixed that problem. Have they discussed that with u as a possible start so that u can take some beta blockers?

• Posted

Hi Suzanne

I too cannot take beta blockers for the same reason. I had ablations 16 years ago for SVT which stopped that problem but now have just been diagnosed with  AF, obviously still can’t take beta blockers and blood thinners had  the same effect! My question is, have you had an ablation or just the pacemaker and beta blockers? And how do you feel, are the episodes now under control?

• Posted

Hello Suzanne, 

i had a temp pacemaker in my neck after my first ablation. They kept me in for 3 weeks on the temp wire and tried me with lots of different beta blockers tablet form and central line but none of them slowed my heart rate down, well it would pause it but would then race back up to 140 - 170 sometimes even 200bpm. 

The pacemaker is looming but it would be with the intension to ablate the AV node and if i'm honest that scares me A LOT! Being 100% reliant on a machine is a scary thought! 

I recently got married and we were hoping to try for children soon but i have been told that there is no way i can carry a child with my condition the way it is as it would be to dangerous. 

• Posted

From what I understand the pacemaker is for low heart beat or heart pauses only -- it does nothing for high heart rate.  My first ablation in March 2/15 did not work.  Had the pacemaker installed in 8/15 and the second ablation in 12/15, which appears to have been successful since it was over a year ago,and I've only had one episode of a fib in the year.  I was originally on beta blockers and other meds, but the successful second ablation has allowed the afib to go into remission and I've gotten off of all meds with the exception of eliquis which i will be on for the rest of my life because of my CHAD score.  I wish you luck.....

• Posted

Hi there, I'm very similar to you with multiple cardioversions and 2 ablations. And I can't take beta blocks either. I found the best solutions for me right now are the FODMAP diet and I take a very low dose of flecainide 50mg 2x/day. No blood thinners. The flecainide is an anti arrhythmia medication and I do best with these types of drugs. I've not heard of the ripple mapping however it does sound interesting. Do you have any intestinal issues? The FODMAP diet may be of interest to you. It sure changed things for me

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply! It’s good to know there are other people out there who can’t tolerate beta blockers! Does the flecanaide affect you at all? I’m just so frightened about taking any new meds as I seem to be so sensitive to them. As far as I know I don’t have any intestinal problems but the food map diet is certainly worth a look. I thought flecanaide was a beta blocker, silly me. So can I ask is your condition under control now and is it AF? By the way I’m 55 years old.
    • Posted

Hey Maura, the flecainide does not bother me at all. Probably cause I am on such a low dose. I am also very sensitive to medication and was TERRIFIED to go on it. I don't like medication in general. I come from a health food background lol. I have heard of some people having stomach irritation and don't realize it. They may just get mild symptoms like burping and bubbling etc. Yes I consider my condition under control however it will never be 100%. That I've come to terms with. I had a cardioversion back last August and that was due to strawberries and I was a year again before that one. And the year before that I had many cardioversions cause I was not fully tuned into the food issues. I've had A Fib for 7 years. I am a 58 years old female. Please feel free to ask me lots of questions.

• Posted

Hi Sandiishealthy, 

you are the second person who has mentioned FODMAP to me. As it happens my condition got worse as i have put on weight. Im about 4 stone over weight (around a size 16/18 UK) and realise that loosing weight could help me but i have such a mental block about it....... so stupid but i just cant seem to get a handle on the weigh loss. 

Where is the best place to get information about the FODMAP diet? 

Many thanks for all of your advice and guidance, 

Lynn x

• Posted

Hi Lynn there are many variations on of the FODMAP diet out there. I found the one from Stanford university in the USA to be the best and I trust them the most. Here is a link to a copy of the diet. http://fodmapliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Stanford-University-Low-FODMAP-Diet-Handout.pdf. Copy and paste it into your browser. Let me know if the link doesn't work. Let me know if you have any questions. I'd be more than happy to help. P. S. This is not a diet for losing weight though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.