Rising glucose level

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello everyone, I am new to this community and and seek help for a concern that I have been observing of late. I am 48 year old male.

My glucose level has always been 65-75 when fasting and 80-90 after food for last so many years. Now a days I have lost almost 3 kg without any reasons hence checked the glucose level. Results were as under :

FBS - 97

HbA1c - 5.16

Does the above mean that my glucose level pattern have been changed compared to as it used to be? Is this rise in sugar level pre-diabetics? Could this rise in glucose level have contributed to my weight loss?

Kindly assist..

Many thanks in advance

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

A1C 5.7 to 6.4 is considered prediabetic anything over is considered type 2 diabetic I believe. I fell into the prediabetic rang at one point. So I lowered my carb intake for 6 to 7 months and it went back to normal. Turns out I was taking in to many carbs anyway. But I'm not a doctor so you may want to go see you're doctor and ask some questions.

• Posted

Thank you Sway for the reply. I have been quite regular in the gym nowadays doing moderate cardio and weight training which could also be a reason for my weight loss..

However, will get it consulted with a doc soon.. have a great day!

• Posted

Hi Daashin. First those are still very good numbers, still south of even the poorly named "pre-diabetic". Are they a little higher than your old numbers? Well sure. Is it time to panic? No, not even close. Is it time to take steps? Not even that, particularly.

However it never hurts to learn more, especially how to count carbs in your diet.

Because often enough these things do tend to trend with age. In another five or ten years, should your A1C get above 5.7, then you get onto the first rung of a ladder nobody wants to be on, LOL.

FBC of 97 is a little bit high since 100 is a common number used, but an A1C of only 5.16 says your body very quickly responds to anything you eat.

If you are absolutely fascinated with the whole thing you can go to any drug store, get a blood glucose meter and kit, and measure your own anytime. CVS was just running a deal, buy 100 strips for $24, get a free meter, finger-sticker, 10 lances, you can buy 100 more for about $7. Now the CVS meter/kit isn't the best out there, but even the expensive ones can be had for maybe $60 for the whole kit, especially online. There are also A1C meters and kits for modest cost, though I haven't sprung for that myself yet. I've been pretty happy with my Bayer/Ascensia "Contour Next EZ" meter/kit, I've tried comparing the CVS kit to that and - I'd spend the extra bucks for the Contour. Insurance would pick it up if your doctor prescribed - but in general they have guidelines for prescribing that are much higher than your current numbers, so I think it would have to come out of your hobby budget for now!

• Posted

Thanks a ton for the much detailed reply and of course the information has relived me a lot. Sorry for late response as my job was quite hectic for quite sometime. The glucose meter helped checking my FBS level regularly and it is always in between 86-97. Let me do this for a couple of months more and see if there is any spike, hopefully not as I have cut down on my carbs. My body weight has come back to normal , the weight loss must've happens due to my cardio sessions in the gym. Many thanks once again 😃

• Posted

An A1C of 5.1 is very good and better than many non diabetics. Trending does matter and I agree that self testing is important, beyond the A1C. Do you take any meds?

• Posted

Hello jane sorry for the late response as my work was hectic for the last 3 months. I do take medication for high blood pressure as I have got white coat hypertension LOL... in a medical set up my BP shoots up...mostly when checked with the automatic machines. The pumping apparatus is somehow okay for me. I know this is more of a phobia but still my doctor suggested to be safe by taking basic medications considering my family history of high blood pressure. Hopefully by workout sessions - just to keep fit not to bulk up 😃 - should help. Have a great day!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.