Rising PSA 2

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi to all,

I was ghost for couple of days while I further investigated my rising psa. For this I apologize. I had a new psa/free psa test done last wed at the same lab and the results were 2.1/ 19% which indicates psa still rising and free psa abnormal. I saw my Urologist yesterday had a dre in which he found a nodule on my prostate. I have an appt for 25 nov to get an T3 mpmri and a fusion biopsy there after. Im also thinking of sending the findings to John Hopkins Hospital to review for a second opinion.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Edited

Hi Oscar,

Are you post-surgical for cancer and now have a rising psa? Because otherwise, 2.1 is not high. What is the size of your prostate?

Best wishes,

Fred

• Posted

HI Light no im not post surgery. This was my peevious post about two weeks ago titled Rising PSA:

Hi Everyone I'm new to this forum and trying to get some answers. My PSA test went from 1.1 Dec 2017-1.2 June 2018 then 1.7 Oct 2019. Im 51 and prostate cancer do run in my family. I had DRE in DEC 2017 and apart from moderate enlargement everything was good. I will be seeing the urologist next month and request another DRE along with a biopsy. Just wanted to know if I should be concerned. Thanks for your in put in advance.

What you are now reading is an update from when i started. I had to start a whole new discussion and tittled it PSA 2. I am new to the online forums. I dont know what i did wrong on computer but seems like I lost everyone who was on that previous conversation so I started a new discussion and this is my update you initially read. Thanks for your response.

• Posted

PSA reading is normal between 2 and 4. Mine went from 4, normal, to 6 two years ago and I was sent to get an MRI scan. This showed a small lump so had a biopsy, which was positive for cancer. I am older than you, though no history in the family.

I have no idea why you are looking with that low reading?

My cancer has now been treated and I have a very low reading of 0.15, after Pencil beam Proton Therapy. This is new to the UK and was done privately, but an easy treatment and I cannot speak highly enough about it.

• Posted

Hi Dennis 63948

I am wondering about the pencil Proton did they have to use a balloon ever time you went in for the treatment and how many treatments were there and what stage was your cancer.

Stay well and hope is going good for you

Henry

• Posted

Hi Dennis thanks for your response. My dad had it and passed at 82 and some cancer cells were found in my brother with a psa that was much lower than mines thats why im concerned. i just not to long started this process. i dont know my prostate size, and all the other pertinent info as yet although after my recent dre my urologist stated that my prostate was moderatly enlarged which was in accordance with the psa result and there was also a small nodule. He is concerned cause of family history and steady rise. i have and mri scheduled and fusion biosy there after. Again thanks for your response.

• Posted

If I were in this position, I would wait for the MRI results before scheduling a biopsy. I would also get a biomarker test such as 4K, PCA3, or Select MDX. Only if those came back suspicious would I look at doing a biopsy. Biopsy is not a benign test. There can be infection, scarring, nerve damage, and some even believe the repeated needle sticks can spread the cancer. Caution is advised. Whatever you decide, good luck.

• Edited

I will be getting pca phi and 4k score done tomorrow. Concerning the biopsy and the spread of cancer cells I have done some research and to my understanding this have always been a concern but there is no evidence this has ever happend or it could ever happend per dr Patrick Walsh one of the leading professors of urology at the John Hopkins Medical Institute in Maryland. Thanks for your response.

• Posted

2.1 is normal. Since DRE is positive, get an MRI. IF normal and PSA density is normal, forget it.

• Posted

I agree with Light. Have the MRI, get the results. Study the results. Do not rush to a biopsy until the results have been discussed with one or more urologists.

• Posted

The MRI is the first thing to do. You need thinking time so no rush. My lump, inside the Prostate, was not large and I went and spoke to Consultant. He estimated it would be a 70% chance of being cancer, in his experience. With that thought I then had the biopsy, which confirmed it was cancer. Then my time was spent looking at alternative treatments, and happy to share what I learnt, if needed.

• Posted

Hi to all.

Hey dennis i would appreciate any info on your experience so far. Knowledge is power!! Im carefully choosing each step as i go along .. doing endless research but it always helps when someone is on that same journey who can pass back some knowledg. Thanks for your response.

• Posted

Hi Oscar,

After I was told I had cancer I was determined to find out the options and choices. Even the surgeons and consultants can all differ on best course actions, I guess based on their own training and experience. I was offered choices of Radiation, which is often beamed in from many angles to avoid radiation damage. I avoided this. Take care to ask about effect on impotence as the results are different according to your choice. Then brachytherapy, which is very small metal tubes containing radioactive iodine, which are injected in rows into the Prostate. It is a short life radiation so it should kill the cancer at source. However, if there is a repeat of cancer it may limit your options for further treatment.

I was also offered surgery, but this is often total so you are cured, but impotent. Partial removal may be possible but not guaranteed.

None was what I wanted to go for though Brachytherapy was the least bad option, I thought.

I was then told about Pencil Beam Proton Therapy. This is very up to date and offered in the UK, where I am, by a private company called Rutherford Cancer Centres. It was available last year and is what I chose.

My summary is that I had medium grade cancer and had to do something. I had no symptoms and felt nothing while the beam was aimed at the Prostate only, as it is highly targeted. You can read about it online. Afterwards I had no problems. It is a year now and so far I have had very low readings. The most recent was 0.15 so very low. It is highly likely that the cancer has gone, though I will have routine tests for some time to come.

I hope this helps. You are in the USA so sorry if my English is not clear to you, as I am in the UK. Please ask if you want me to clarify anything.

• Posted

Interesting. You mention that surgery can leave you impotent. True, but so can radiation and so can androgen deprivation treatment. Has your PSA remained constant after treatment?

• Posted

Hi toall

Dennis thanks for the info. I am still thinking about options. I was looking closely at FLA or TULSA PRO because it causes little damage to other tissues and it does not take away other options if there is a recurrance. But i also heard proton is also good and gives that same advantage. Im looking at each options and the pros and cons.

• Posted

All the best, its good you are getting a second opinion. Its good to nip it in the bud before it becomes terminal. I do not think the score is high enough to be concerned.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.