Risk of HIV by endoscopy ??

Posted , 5 users are following.

I went through endoscopy test ysday, I red online that risk of transmitting disease from person person is high e.g HIV, as device used in test is could not be fully cleaned....how much correct it is??

I am afraid ....

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I can't see that being very accurate, it wouldn't be allowed otherwise.

• Posted

Well I'm not sured about HIV, but having red a lot about this topic I can't definitely say that you happen to be to first person who asked such question.

I wouldn't worry about HIV, but would more worry about some other acute disease...

• Posted

I very much doubt you are in danger of anything like that. There are 3 main reasons why this is very unlikely.

1. Hospitals today are very concerned with lawsuits and public opinion, as well as the health of their patients. The vast majority of hospitals, in addition to ordinary methods of cleaning, will use autoclave (high pressure steaming), Sonic and UltraViolet sterilization to completely destroy any organic matter on their equipment.

2. The HIV virus is extremely fragile. Left on it's own outside the body it deactivates in under a minute. If it's part of a collection of bodily fluids or mucus, then it lasts a little longer, but that dries up pretty quickly and the virus will be dead in short order. Besides, large deposits of organic matter  like those are easy to spot on medical equipment, wouldn't you agree?

3. Next, the body is quite adept at keeping things out. Unless you have a gaping hole in your esophagus, any virus or bacteria, fungus, amoeba, pathogen, will go dircctly to the stomach, and if you thought high pressure steam was deadly to germs, it's got nothing on stomach acid. (of course that doesn't apply to people on PPI's like Omeprazole or other "-prazole"s)

The chances of conversion for HIV are very low anyways. Even if you are pricked by a needle that had just been used by an HIV positive person, the chances of catching the virus is less than 1 in 150 occurences

• Posted

Hope whatever you are saying is correct but I live in developing country like india and hospital i visited was not well maintained.....after having endoscopy on 25th nov 2017 immediate after 2 days i got throat pain and fever + after that diarrhea also.....now that symptoms pushing more to think about HIV infection buddy......

😢😢😢

• Posted

Better i get tested after 3 months to be sure about my doubt 😢

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.