Risk of HIV transmission in southern Africa through massage and hand job

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi , I'm an expatriate in a country in Southern African where HIV prevalence is estimated 20 % of the city . I had an oily massage ended by unprotected hand job three weeks ago .

I read on some websites that there is a theoretical risk of HIV transmission , I'm not sure about the mechanism of transmission in this case but I feel extremely worried as I developped a mild sore throat with enlarged tonsils and a feeling of discomfort in the upper part of trachea two weeks ago , the inflammation is now relieved but the enlarged tonsils feeling of unrest in trachea still exists.

two days ago there is a severe night sweat and my temprature started to rise gradually ( a typical sign of viral infection ) 

my questions :

1 - Is the hand job ( theoretical case ) can tramsit HIV in this case ?

2 - Since I live in a place of 20% HIV prevalence , Can I contract HIV without having sex or blood transfusion or needle sharing ??

3 - what makes the hand job theoretical risk and (anal - vaginal ) actual risk as they both involve friction ??

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

It's a hand job.... Don't worry about it. Next time I suggest you refrain from visiting those places, especially being you're anxious over a hand job
  • Posted

I won't go again for sure but what really makes me anxious is the symptoms I'm having ( enlarged tonsils for  2 weeks even after using Antibiotic - current fluctuations of body temperature ) 
    • Posted

Why are you taking your body temp? Did you read that online, so now you're taking it? You do realize our body temp fluctuates through pit the day and night. Your temp when first waking, will be different than the middle of the day.

You are not going to get HIV from a hand job, unless you both had open bleeding cuts that were making contact during the hand job. You'd be smszrd at what the body can do when it's anxious and start experiencing symptoms that you read about.

• Posted

I know that HIV transmission via hand job is not likely to happen , alot of researchers also belive kissing is not a mean of transmission , but once I heard a lady telling her story about contracting HIV throgh a deep kiss with her partner , so I can see a similarity between a kiss and hand job as both of them involve friction and there could be some small unseen cuts
    • Posted

So how in gods name could she know that's how she got it, unless she never had sex w him or oral sex? I have hear the virus can be found in the saliva, especially if their viral load is high, but if that were the case, magic Johnson would have past it to his wife a long time ago.

No, there are no similarities between kissing and a hand job. Those two are sharing bodily fluid back and forth w one another. See, now you're trying to come up w every scenario possible, to believe that you still coukd be at risk. I have anxiety, I know how this works.

Again, the person would have to have a bleeding wound that gets into an open wound on you. That's like saying you'll catch AIDs just hanging out and holding hands w someone w AIDs.

• Posted

As feelbroken says - the difficulty is that you are anxious and it is likley that you are relating every symptom to this.
  • Posted

Does anyone remember when in 50s if you had VD [as it then was] you told people that you ahd got it from a toilet seat? 

There's still worry, misinformation and superstition ...

• Posted

HIV for 27 years here.

HIV contracted through a hand job.. definetely not

HIV contracted through kissing , not possible unless there is blood involved from bleeding gums .

HIV is not easy to catch at any stage there are a lot of other things that are so much easier to catch before HIV enters the equassion.

All those symptoms which Seg you have spoken about are symptoms related to Anxiety itself.

I am living with acute anxiety and as I sit writing this I have a terrible pain and what feels like a 3 inch lump in my lower asophyicas , its painful but I am also aware that stress and anxiety increase toxins and this lump I feel that makes it hard to digest or swallow everything including drinks is a sympton and a very real one of anxiety.

I suggest you may like to use this experience as a learning curve to be more wise and careful as to what you get up too and with who in the future and to also use this time to get educated and learn from researching what is safe and what is not safe

I was in a loving relationship for 5 years with my late partner who was not HIV and he was never at risk at any time and we had a perfectly healthy and normal sex life.

Best wishes

PJ

• Posted

Congratulations for this post ossie! 

Excellently put.  I have given you a vote [though what good it do I do not know!]

• Posted

geez, simonthethird thanks so much for your encouragement I only found this site one month ago, most of my time is spent in the anxiety chat forum as this is my real battle in life today.

trying not to worry , and see every small problem as a catashrophie.

I am a complex being what with HIV for years, liver problems, lung problems, chronic Lymphodema , acute anxiety and had many bouts of terrible depression.

But in all this without feeling sorry about myself, lol, I have learned that I am an incredibly strong , and kick back person, I often find myself falling into a heap but I never stay down for too long as I seem to have a real sense that life is whats it give you and the journey may be a really hard long road, but there is nothing as priceless in this world that to have life.

The world is a mess , there is upheaval and chaos all around us, but to find those real precious moments where peace and calm exsist is what drives me time and time again right back to me.

And its in me I can find that peace and self respect as I avoid looking inwards and crying out poor me , woe is me.

Its when I start to venture down that road I know I am heading in the wrong direction.

Even while having faced immense loss and knowing greif I can look inside and still find something good to say about the loss I have known and that is always how really blessed I am to of known love at least one time in my life.

There are so many that have never experienced that at any time in thier lives.

HiV is a huge challenge to me still.

But I am grateful I didnt fall to the illness as so many of my comrades back in the late 80s and 90's did.

Have a wonderful week.

PJ

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.