Risk of Retina Detach after Cataract surgery, for Male, Age 40-50

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, im Male 46. I have psc cataract in both eyes , and I had cataract surgery done on my left eye last month. I am deferring surgery on my right eye as long as possible because of the risk of RD I heard.

I would like to hear from people in this group , who has cataract surgery done in age 40-50 how they are doing.

Is it true that male in this age range have higher risk of RD after the surgery ?

This is my main worry.

Thanks !

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello Peter,  I have just been doing a little research on this because I haven't heard about this risk but then, I'm not male!

Have you looked at Google Scholar?  I'll message you the links I have found but I think you should talk to your Consultant because it looks as though what you have heard is correct but it is always better if you have something you can quote from.

I had my first eye done when I was 40 & the other one this year, both posterior subcapsular cataracts caused by steroid drops & oral tablets.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Peter,

Yes the risk is higher but it's still a small risk. You didn't mention your pre-op vision, did you wear glasses before the op? If so what was your prescription?

The choice on getting the second eye done is yours, so don't let them bully you into something you don't want to do. If you can see ok for your day to day activities then wait for as long as you are able.

I went the other way in that I had a retinal detachment in my right eye which was successfully repaired through surgery but which then caused a cataract in that eye.

• Posted

Dear James, my preop vision was +1D left -1.25D right. There was no other vision /eye issues other than cataract. But having cataract at a young age of 46 was not something I have expected. I only had cataract surgery on my left eye, its now -0.25D. 20/20.

Does your RD happened suddenly? Was there any small symptoms prior to RD ?

Did you recover your vision 100% after RD surgery ?

Maybe I am worrying too much ? I always worry RD when im on business trip.

• Posted

Hi Peter,

It's good that your prescription was so low prior to the cataracts, the chances of RD is much greater for high myopes like me. I was -7.5 right eye and -6.5 left.

For me the symptoms before the RD were: I had a flash of light whenever I moved my eyes from side to side and about a week after that there was a shadow at the left side of my vision. I was lucky they were able to repair the retina and apart from a peripheral hazing in very low light my eyesight is fine.

The other symptom they tell you to look out for is like a blackout curtain being drawn across your vision, if you get any of these symptoms then you need to get it checked out as quickly as possible.

• Posted

James, thanks. Good to know the symptoms. So there is indeed sufficient time for flying back for surgery in case of RD symptoms during a business trip.
  • Posted

Hi Peter.  It is true that younger people have risk of RD due to the vitreous gel has not separated from the retina until age 60.  My mother had her retina detached at 48 which was 7 years after the cataract surgery.

It is also true that high myopes are at greater risk of RD.  I do not know if she was a high myope or not.  The surgeon told me that given my history I will be able to consult a retina special frequently to manage such an occurrence.

A retina detachment can be repaired within few days.  After that it is irreparable.  My mother told me that her symptoms were reddish curtain over the eye when she bent.

I am in similar situation as you but not have had surgery and am probably going to try to ride it out as much as I can.

• Posted

Thanks Soks, I absolutely agree with you, I am defering my right eye surgery until it is intolerant.

I hope your psc cataract will not develop as fast as mine, I still remember my vision started to have some slight haze in dec 2016, it was ok until april 2017, then it deteriorated very fast in May-June 2017 when at the end I have no choice but to go for surgery on my left eye. I remembered in the days of june, I go to work and meetings and couldnt see the faces of people. I was calling my wife and telling her that I am living in dreams every day. Lol

Now that I have one eye cleared. I will leave the other eye blurry until the vision dropped to zero. My doctor said around two years.

• Posted

BTW Peter you should not fly during a retina detachment.  I know a colleague who actually drove his wife to out of state to treat retina detachment.  Another doctor agreed that you should rot fly during RD.
    • Posted

Hi Soks, I have business trips a few times every year. What can I do if I am so unlucky that RD happened when I am in another country ? Or should I do a retinal check every time before I go to business trip ? Am I worrying too much ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.