Rituxan

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi RA friends, well here I go again , the last infusion of Actema caused rashes and boils so my Reumy is starting me on Rituxan 5 hour infusion! My body rejected Orencia , Remacaid, Xelzand , methotrexate, enbral .  It's been over six years , no deformity yet but pain level intense everyday .  Of course I'm on predsidone while I wait for insurance, hens bloating and mood swings sigh. So my question is has anyone had positive results of Rituxan?  Thank you in advance

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi again is anyone using Rituxan I really need to make a decision so worried about side effects.  Thanks
    • Posted

Hi

Sorry no one on this forum seems to have any info on it.  I only suggest you put the name of the drug in your search engine and follow that by the word reviews and several sites come up for you to check.  It's a mixed bag as with any drugs--if someone had a serious side effect or found great relief.   Many gave it favorable reviews.  I wish you the best--these are such hard decisions to make when we know what can happen.    I am on Cimzia after debating if I wanted the risk of side effects but decided I will try it and so far I am tolerating it

• Posted

Hi Rosalind

yes I am on rituximab and it's been great for me. I am still on methotrexate with it but know it can be used on its own. It works in a different way to anti tnf drugs like orencia and enbrel as it targets B cells . Don't ask me what they are- but they re a different part of the cell that causes auto immune response. 

I prefer having the the infusion in the hospital as they monitor the whole time if you are getting any localised allergic reaction.and alter the rate accordingly. There is a anti histamine and steroid premed to reduce this possibility too. Very few longer term side effects. I certainly have none. It takes a little longer to work , maybe 2 months, but lasts for a minimum of 6 months maybe longer. I am on my 4 th round and it looks like it will last 9 months or so this time. 

So so don't be put off by long infusion time- take a book and snacks! Take a small blanket or shawl as the anti histamine can make you feel sleepy/ cold. They monitor you regularly during infusion. It s really worth seeing if this might be the one that helps you. That pred is just awful- needs must of course, but I have not had tablets for a year now which is great. All the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.