Rituximab

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was eventually diagnosed with Seropositive Rheumatoid Arthritis in June 2012, after 18 months of blood tests and investigations.

Since I have been diagnosed I have seen my consultant and RA nurses about every 3 - 6 months and each time they have increased my medication, I am currently on 20mg of Methotrexate, Folic Acid, Hydroxychlorquine, Sulfasalazine and Lansoprazole, however this is not working for me and my RA is active, therefore I have now met the criteria for Rituximab (infusion) and have an appointment in March for my first infusion.  I know everybody reacts differently to medication but is there anybody who can advise how they have found the Rituximab, how long it normally takes work and last for and what their opinion is on it.  Thanks in advance 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I was in exactly the same position as you and eventually reached the criteria to have Retuximab.

i had my first infusion over two years ago. I had no side effects at all. It took about four weeks to start working and about ten weeks before I felt the full effect. 

After this I felt so good, virtually pain free. I could leave off my Naproxen. 

The first infusion lasted for two years, but obviously this varies from patient to patient. I have  just had my second infusion and this took effect much quicker. 

Retuximab has changed my life completely and I bless the day my rheumatologist suggested it.

good luck and I hope it works as well for you as it did for me.

• Posted

Thank you Linda for your reply its reassuring and really helpful and has given me hope that there maybe light at the end of the tunnel.

Good luck with any future infusions 

• Posted

Well like you I have been struggling.been on methotrexate(was working til consultant took to highest dose n it irritated my liver etc) tried embrel,humira and I am on sulfasalazine. Had the first lot of rituximab in June.at sept clinic told it wasn't working and they were putting me on abatacept.When I said I had started tripping up and speech not right told to try my own doctor. January right leg giving way nurse wanted to admit me to hospital but no beds then didn't contact me .week later my right side jerking across to left as I try to balance myself n I spasm when sat.had CT then MRI yesterday n see neurologist Saturday.I think its the rituximab but am awaiting results of lots blood test .Strange I was OK before it thou
    • Posted

Forgot to say at present I am only on pregabalin and predisalone and vit d,lansoprazole.am off sulfasalazine til see consultant again
    • Posted

Frances thank you for your comments it is good to get different perspectives.  I am sorry to hear that you are struggling too, but hopefully they will get you on a medication that works for you.  Good luck with your appointment on Saturday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.