Rituximab AND methotrexate

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone. I'm changing onto Rituximab after failing with Adalimumab. I'm told it MUST be taken with methotrexate. I asked if this is because it helps it work better. No, they said, it's merely to do with the funding. Has anyone else heard this?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

How bizarre. What area do you live in? Presumably if you get the funding for both, your Consultants won't give you both drugs, how does it work?

• Posted

I live in North West UK. I don't think funding is required for MTX. It's much cheaper than biologics.

• Posted

That sounds like rubbish to me... funding??? a lot of the biological drugs are meant to be used with methotrexate and as far as I understand it helps in mopping up the inflammatory process. Some are intended to be taken on their own. I couldnt take MTX and therefore tried several without it. I think I may ask for further clarification from a pharmaceutical point of view, or ask your pharmacist

• Posted

It was the rheumatology pharmacist that I was talking to! She also said Rituximab is 'licenced' for use with MTX. I'm only concerned as I had severe stomach problems when I was taking MTX a few years ago. These were tablets whilst the new prescription is a low dose via self-injection. I'm also not keen on the reported side effects of MTX.

• Posted

I have read that the studies show it is more effective when the 2 are used in combination. But when I did another search on the internet a couple people reported taking the drug without using Methotrexate b/c they were unable to tolerate MTX . My doc has told me biologics are generally more effective when taken together with MTX but I have taken Humira and Cimzia both biologics without MTX.I live in US

I hope the new drug works for you

• Posted

I've found one study that showed no marked difference in results between those using both, or rituximab on its own. I guess if we searched long enough we could find studies to justify everything. I'm moving from Humira (without MTX), which worked well for my RA, as it was blamed as the cause of my pachymeningitis. Not a nice side effect but apparently extremely rare.

• Posted

Sorry to hear John that you had such a rare and scary side effect. I told my rheum. I didn't want to take both humira and MTX together and he was Ok with that. I didn't tolerate it though. . Hope you find another drug that works for RA

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.