Rivaroxaban - do I need to take it?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I note that there is an older discussion (some time ago) regarding this drug which is now closed, I was wondering if anyone had recent experience with this medication. Following a heart attack in March 2018 I have made a good recovery and attending a rehab clinic, but I'm surprised to be informed by my cardiologist that I should now go on to rivaroxaban because when I was admitted to hospital I had (apparently) atrial fibrillation. There is no sign of this now, I have a strong steady heart beat and low blood pressure, I really do not want to go onto this lifelong treatment if I don't need to, does anyone have any thoughts on this please? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi hugo,

At the end of the day it is your body, you are allowed to say no to tablets. I stopped taking apixaban another new drug because it made me ill. I am taking bromelain a natural anti coagulant along with ginger root, ground flaxseed and magnesium citrate all blood thinners and drinking plenty of water.

• Posted

Hi Jen,

Many thanks for your reply. Your solution/alternative is most interesting and I do wonder why doctors don't subscribe to natural therapies more often, I guess research is pretty low.

I live in the West Country of the UK, we are not well covered by NHS hospitals, but at least it's free healthcare and I have to say I have no complaints of the care I received during the 14 days I was in hospital. but I am concerned about the number of drugs I'm taking, 8 in total.

• Posted

Rivaroxiban is the most unpleasant blood thinner I have tried. If you are going to go on one I wouldn’t advise this one.

You can ask for a second opinion if you are worried. I had multiple pulmonary emboli and was prescribed Rivaroxiban and I had the worst migraines, nausea, diarrhoea, bad anxiety and numbness and tingling on one side of my body. I changed to apixiban, which didn’t have as many side effects I just had migraines and bad anxiety but all the symptoms of my PEs came back, so they eventually changed me to injections called Innohep, the side effects from these are a small amount of dizziness and nausea and bruises and lumps where the injections go in. Unpleasant but nowhere near as stressful as the tablets I had. 

Are they worried you may get a stroke? I suppose you have to weigh up whats the worst thing that could happen with or without them. If you are dead against it I suppose you could take aspirin. I would suggest you get a second opinion from another doctor and ask all of your different options and tell them everything you are worried about. You do have to take this seriously though because it isn’t a small thing you have been through and you will have to make big lifestyle changes if you want to stay healthy.

• Posted

Hi Moon,

Your side effects do seem awful and a lot worse than some I have read about. No alternatives have been discussed with my doctor, but I will be asking a few more question based on your findings, Thanks.

• Posted

My husband has atrial fibrillation and was prescribed this.  I also had a PE following hip surgery.  I can only tell you my exp and thoughts...I took it for 6 months no side effects at all.  My husband still continues to take it as a precautionary measure  and has no side effects.  As you know it’s a blood thinner and I believe a good insurance against the blood thickening and the possible consequences.  It’s expensive too so I would say keep taking by it and if you have any problems see your GP or consultant.  

Julie

• Posted

Hugo,

There is a man on here Nigel0151 who is doing his own reseach into this drug. I believe he was precribed it but thinks it is a dangerous drug.

• Posted

Hi, there is plenty of information on rivaroxaban just google "rivaroxaban side effects" it makes for interesting reading!.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.