rivaroxaban effects

Posted , 9 users are following.

What type of side effenoticed eexperiencing with this new aalternative to warfarin. I have noticed since I hhave been taking tablet not been able to lose

Weight. What have you noticed?

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Saw my doctor today who said I needed to go on to warfarin for my AF. I asked her about  rivaroxaban as an alternative. Did you have a choice of which medicine to take and if so, if you don't mind me asking,  why did you choose rivaroxaban? I have to see her again on Tuesday with my decision. Thanks
    • Posted

Hi i was ok warfarin for a few years ...It was my go who suggested Rivaroxaban due to my bad veins .. For testing my inr. I came off warfarin and started to use Rivaroxaban. ..i have problems with too much acid in stomach they irritated my stomach more so plus I noticed my body was aching alot more. I decided to return to warfarin and i am ok. You must also realise ...which they do not tell you that there is no antidote for Rivaroxaban yet meaning if you had a major bleed they cannot stop the bleeding. People are suing over this in America. At least with warfarin it is tried and tested with an antidote. The decision is yours. Pick carefully taj
    • Posted

I was on warfarin and changed to Rivaroxaban .i have changed back to warfarin . Rivaroxaban irritated my stomach and my body really ached. There is no antidote with Rivaroxaban either ..if you have a serious bleed they cannotsstop it ...people are suing in America. At least warfarin is well recognised and fully tested. Chose wisely ...take care Carroll x
    • Posted

At least there is an antidote to Warfarin. One of my neighbours has been on it for years with few side effects but had a massive stomach bleed from polyps the other week when in Spain on holiday.

He was taken to the nearest private hospital so could not use his E111. It cost him 4000 Euros for a two day stay including a 1000 Euros for blood transfusions. He checked out on day two as he could not afford to stay longer. In his 70's and on Warfarin he could not get insurance.

• Posted

oh thats interesting. I'm not quite 70 yet and have a holiday already booked! Will phone my insurance once i start on it. they already know about the AF Is your neighbour ok now??
    • Posted

Well this afternoon he was sitting outside the Pub enjoying a pint:-)

He needs to have some more tests yet but hopes to be going back on to Warfarin soon as he comes from a family with a very bad cardiac record.

There is another older drug similar to Warfarin called Acenocoumarol  (Sinthrome). One doctor suggested that I try it in the hope that it would not cause joint pain. The Warfarin nurse at the surgery and  my GP had not heard of it nor had either of the cardiologists  assked. It seems that Warfarin is prefered as more is known about it but of course it is known here:

https://patient.info/medicine/Acenocoumarol.htm

• Posted

Thanks for info. When you say a bleed do you mean a tia? It's all quite scary
    • Posted

People can have bleeding from practically anywhere. The good still well outweighs the bad if it prevents you from a life threatening clot.
  • Posted

Thank you Carol. After reading the info on both i was swaying towards warfarin. Like you say it has been tried and tested for a long time. Not looking forward to it but hey ho thats life eh?? Take care. Lynne
    • Posted

Hi Lynn ...not on warfarin and in afib 1 in a 100 of having a stroke on warfarin 1 in 4000..massive difference isn't they. Also if you have a stroke not on warfarin ...The stroke can b lots worse thana stroke on warfarin. ...hmmmmm ..i am fine on warfarin u will be too ...ttake care xxx
    • Posted

thank you Carole. Apparently I'm in af all the time now and really breathless so warfarin it will have to be. Travel insurance will increase !!!!

Lynne x

• Posted

Yes it will. There is an operation u can have to u know ...ask your gp ...can't remember the name of it. Nite nite ...don't worry u will b ok 😊
    • Posted

Whatever choice we make carries a risk. More so the older we are.

I stopped Warfarin after each of my two successful cardioversions due to severe pain in weight bearing joints and went back to aspirin.

When I told my GP he said that I was the third person that week to stop taking it. The other two were one because of a bleed and the other due to severe bruising.  I'm recently back in AF so will soon reluctantly be back on Warfarin if I want another cardioversion or more hopefully an ablation.

The stroke on Warfarin will cause more bleeding and  can also cause an

intracranial hemorrhage.

Findings published by the Canadian Medical Association.:

"In randomised clinical trials between one and three per cent of people on warfarin suffer a bleed per year. An observational trial of 125,000 people, with an average age of 66, taking warfarin in real life for atrial fibrillation, showed that almost four per cent suffered a bleed per year.

The complication rate was even higher during the first 30 days of treatment when almost 12 per cent suffered a bleed.

Over five years, almost 11,000 of the group, around nine per cent, went to hospital with a bleed and 1,963, or almost a fifth of them died."

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.