rivaroxaban side effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

Had anyone experienced weight loss while taking Rivaroxaban.

I started them about 8 weeks ago and the weight is falling off me.

L x

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda , Yes i have had a similer problem since beeing on dijoxin and rivaroxaban started last year on them and since then lost 2 stone when i complained was told most important you take these meds but the impact on me has been very upsetting , i seem stable at the moment and trying to eat extra but i think it will take a time to recover the weight. How long have you had afib i was diagnosed last July . Aprilx
    • Posted

Hi April,

Thanks for replying, I have PAF and was diagnosed about 2years ago, I was on warfarin but was changed to Rivaroxaban about 8 weeks ago, I am wondering because I was only 46K before I started them if I perhaps should have been given a lower dose, because of my small statue but they just seem to give them out as if one size fits all, I am now down to 43K eating well in fact more as since I started them I always seem to be hungry.

I went to the pharmacist this morning but she didn't seem to know so I am going to try and speak to someone today who perhaps does know, the GP just says  he can't change the dose speak to your cardiologist, or anti coag nurse have a hard job the caog nurse at our hospital don't talk to patients.

Sorry for the rant.

Once you had been on them for a while did the weight stop coming off?

Linda x

• Posted

Hi Linda , sorry for late reply had an odd kind of day, Yes i feel they do give you a standard dose of meds regardless if yo are a small  person or a big strapping one , that does not make sense and is something i have querried myself. sorry your coag nurse is not more aproachable, i have a very nice one but think she is running out of ideas with me , will let you know my 14 months of hell if you like !! Yes my weight has stabilised now but its going to be tough to put it back on and ive dropped 2 dress sizes so nothing fits me . Did you get any joy with anyone yesterday , April x
    • Posted

Hi April,

I managed to speak to the arrythmia nurse who seems to think that rivaroxaban would not make me loose weight unless I am getting blood in my urine or black stools which I am not, and is just a coincidence I am waiting to see the gastroenterologist as GP suspects I am malabsorbing in some way.I do have autoimmune disease that I have had for many years, so I will wait and see.

Linda x

• Posted

Oooh I wish Bisoprolol (which I take) would do that smile  I've never heard of the one you're taking.  Has it helped with the AFib?  xx

• Posted

Hi I am on Bisoprolol, the  Rivaroxaban is an alternative to warfarin.

L x

• Posted

Hi Linda I was on riveroxaban when first diagnosed with paf , but had to come off them due to bleeding from nose gums etc and after being rushed to hospital with gallstones and couldn't have surgery because they weren't quite sure how long before out of system and no antidote for then I was put on warfarin, but I had lost 2 stone in the 6 months I was in them I thought it was the AF causing it but since stopping riveroxaban iv put all my weight back on I'm upset because I am a larger lady to start with , I did notice I ages very quickly but think that was weight loss , Bea

• Posted

Hi Bea,

Thanks for replying thats very interesting as I have already mentioned I spoke to arythmia nurse and he said he hadn't heard of it before, but that is you me and April, I also spoke to a doctor I know who works in A&E and he didn't think it was possible but then if people aren't reporting it they wouldn't know would they and as it is a new drug, I wouldn't mind so much as my appetite is good in fact I have been more hungry since I started it but I was only 7 and a half stone to start with so I really don't want to loose 2 stone, other than the weight loss I have had no other side effects

Linda

• Posted

Hi Linda I do think that there are certain people like us who have more unusual reactions to meds then what is recognised i cannot take any form of beta blocker and had a job at first to get them changed which after a few months they did to digoxin which has had my tummy is almost always upset so i have to take another pill to stop having to go to the toilet all the time as that was my only option left have to put up with it , As the old saying goes its not always one size fits all . Also on daily water tablet which also makes another set of prolems !!! Take care April x
    • Posted

Hi April,

I couldn't agree more once size certainly does not fit all, I am very intolerant of lots of meds and almost all analgesia the only one I can take is paracetamol and then I can only take 1 if I take two I come out in a rash, so very limited with pain killers.

Just recently I was diagnosed with ACCP posituve palindromic RA that they have been unable to treat because I haven't been able to tolerate the meds available.

I find your experience with Digoxin interesting my neighbor who also has Afib was put on those and she has also lost a lot of weight.

Keep your chin up mate always here if you want to chat.

Linda x

• Posted

Hi Linda , thanks for reply,had to look up what PCCP was as had not heard of it that must make life very difficult for you if you cannot tolerate meds and having afib as well lifes not fair is it . I was very interested to hear about your neighbour having weight loss when on dijoxin has it improved now ? I am going to see my arthmia nurse this week so will see what she has to say, have been very breathless in tis hot weather espescially when its humid also sleep is not good . I get very angry with this nasty illness as up until last July have gone from a very active person to someone who is limited to what i can do ,am not the most patient of people but try to stay calm as it only brings on flutters, Anyway do keep in touch please and as you say anytime you want to chat that goes for me to April x
  • Posted

Hi Linda saw arthmia nurse ans she was pleased wih my readings am waiting to have an echocardiogram now.How have you been with this hot weather im finding it very difficultto do anythiing and as for sleeping forget it !!! Writing this at 1.30 in morning!!And to top it all have toothache Happy Days  April x
    • Posted

Hi April,

Glad to hear you had a good result with the nurse, snap with the weather and sleeping, when its really hot sets of my Afib not to much but enough to remind you its still there, hope you get the toothache sorted,  Linda xx

• Posted

Hi Linda , How has your week been are you still losing weight ? I ve had a horrendous week toothache nearly drove me mad till got to dentist and now on 2 lots of anti biotics so with all the other meds im on 8 lots now and me up to a year ago would only have an odd neurofen !! By yesterday i was very low as ab s are making me feel sick and dont finish them till monday.Have you been to see anyone this week about rivaroxaban  my cardiac nurse wanted to try me on apixaban but reading the reveiws disided to stick with these.Anyway when you get a minute keep in touch as we afibbers have to stick together ,Take care April x
  • Posted

Ive recently stopped rivaroxaban after some 18 mnths on it (and post-third ablation). Between that and previously bisoprolol and then verapamil, ive GAINED a stack of weight! Lost 7lbs within couple of weeks of stopping verapamil. Very slowly dropping weight after stopping rivaroxaban. I know having to 'go easy' due to the PAF hasnt helped, but ive never carried so much extra weight!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.