RLE surgery,high hyperopia, age 41

Posted , 1 user is following.

Dear All,

I am 41 and I live in Central Europe in Poland. I found Your forum while seraching the internet for solutions for my eyes problems.

My situation is as follows:

left eye: +8,50 D, cyl: 1,50 (after paralysis of accommodation)

right eye: +6,25m cyl: 0,75 (after paralysis of accommodation)

I have amblyopia in leff eye. The vision with best correction is 0,6.

I am currently wearing glasses:

left eye: +4.5 D cyl: 1.25

right eye: +3.5 D cyl: 0.75

Glasses have additional reading gain of +1.0 D. Unfortunately, I don't see in them anymore.

I am fully ready to wear glasses (I have them since I was two years old). However, I would like them not to be so thick. The power of +8.00 for distance and +11 for reading in future scares me.

The glasses that I have now are acceptable to me. I am an active person. I work a lot on the computer and drive a car.

I was in two centers in order to qualify for the best correction surgery. Both centers have confirmed that I can be only qualified for RLE surgery.

However, this is where compliance ends.

1st Doctor: He qualified for Panoptix or Vivity (if I don't want halos and glares) He said I would see similar to the best correction in glasses. He saw no problem with both methods

2nd Doctor: He qualified for monofocal IOL ALCON CLAREON only. However, he clearly stressed that I would not be satisfied with any solution. During the examination with the right eye, I obtained 100 % vision with correction, which will be problem after RLE. He claims that IOLs do not give such good vision and contrast as natural lens. At the same time, he suggested waiting. Maybe in the near future there will be better solutions for correcting high hyperopia. He mentioned about the SMILE method which is under research for hyperopia correction.

I rejected the first solution - too much risk that I would not be satisfied. I was thinking about mofonofocal IOLs and progressive glasses. However, the second opinion worried me.

Perhaps there is a person similar age and high hyperopia who had RLE or other refractive surgery.

What's your opinion ?

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.