RLS and PLMD, just started Gabapentin but not working

Posted , 4 users are following.

2 years ago,the odd period of uncomfortable legs of the previous 30 yrs (I'm now in my late 50s) morphed into RLS most evenings. It's irritating but bearable.  My main issue is tiredness from poor sleep; after a CPAP/EPAP machine corrected my apnoea (mostly central apnoea where my brain doesn't signal for me to breathe) but helped only a little, a full sleep study 2 weeks ago showed that my legs were twitching 30 times an hour. Gabapentin 600 mg taken immediately before sleep hasn't seemed to produce any difference in my sleep.

Whilst tiredness is my main health issue, I have a series of annoyances: RLS, low body temperature with my extremities suffering in cold weather, tinnitus, and unexplained neurological pains in a tooth and at the site of an old nose operation that come and goes.   I've undergone all sorts of investigations to determine why I'm so tired (more mental than physical as I can still exercise well), mostly with my having less-than-ideal results but within limits, and I got so fed up with struggling that I was becoming suicidal. I'm now on the antidepressant Sertraline, which helps and has only minor side-effects so far, but i want to get off it as soon as I can.

I'm afraid of trying other drugs as they seem to have their issues, notably augmentation, so may be stuck with Gabapentin as a first step.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Most anti-depressants aggravate RLS (Amitriptelene sent my RLS off the scale!). A few ‘safe’ ones are listed on RLShelp.org web page. I have recently started Gabapentin again and not getting much help so may have to increase the dose.

• Posted

Sifrol works well for me, just have to take it 2-3 hours before going to bed.  I have had no proven side effects to date.
  • Posted

2 most effective things for me, soaking in a hot bath and using a bean bag as follows:  I make my bean bags with flannel and the cover with fleece.  8 inches by 20 inches, fill with approximately 6 cups of winter red hard wheat berries (so when laying flat about 1 inch high).  Heat in microwave for 2-3 minutes, take out and move around to mix wheat berries, and heat another 2-3 minutes.  Lie in bed face down with rear end up (looking cute:-), and bag at back of knees, between both legs, touching thighs and calfs.  Instant relief.  The wheat berries will stay warm for up to 30 minutes. Adjust legs to what is comfortable over time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.