Rls is so hard for me, sometimes I just want relieve

Posted , 15 users are following.

I am quite young I have so much a head of me just started an undergraduate degree of pharmcy my life should be perfect . I have a fiancé who loves me and friends and family who do. My future looks bright but it's somewhat ruined by my rls unlike others it's constant day and night . In the same spots so as you can imagine it makes me so sad. No one understands me nothing seems to be working for me now. And it's so horrible up day and night just laying in my bed with a hot water bottle between my legs for some relieve. I've been neglecting my family , friends and uni work as I just can't find any relieve. I just want to me normal it feels like I'm just living away months of my youth feeling so sad and miserable. I don't know what to do aomestimes I jjat want to end things

3 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dear Ayomi

Yesterday I took a larger dose of magnesium than usual and last night I had a fairly bad night.   Sleep at about 5am.

I know its a sample of only one but that's all I have to experiment on.

So now I go back to the straight FODMAP diet and a small dose of Magnesium in the morning.   I will stay on this until I get 5 good days to re-establish the baseline.

As a result of this I would have to say that I suggest you just try the FODMAP diet and see if that provides you with any relief.

Cheers

Graham

• Posted

What exactly does it consists of. It's very confusing. Sorry if I sound a bit thick
    • Posted

Dear Aoymi

Have you been able to find the Monash web site?  I can't put a link here because the post then goes to moderation for some time so they can make sure I'm not doing something against their rules.

If you haven't found it then I think you will find it by entering                      FODMAP  Monash University      into google.

If not let me know and we will find a way to send a link.

The diet is unusual in that they give you a list of food you are allowed to eat rather than a list of foods to avoid.   Its aimed to reduce the amount of four types of sugars (not the ordinary table sugar which is sucrose.)

As I understand it you can't avoid these completely but the foods in the list of allowable food have very low amounts.    There are some foodsw that are OK in a small serving but not in a larger serve.   I find this a bit confusing so I try to avoid all the foods with limitations like that.  For example I am only allowed to have one stick of celery 10 cms long.   I think that's teasing my taste buds so I just avoid celery.

If you haven't found the web site have another look and let me know.   In the worst case I can send you the details directly but I will need to talk to the forum moderator first.   Getting you the info you need is easy once we know what is needed.

The FODMAP diet is not complicated but it is a bit of trouble if you are living in a household with ""Normal" people.

Cheers

• Posted

Dear Ayomi96

I have posted the link to the Monash University web site that deals with the FODMAP diet in the conversation Restless legs and Diet.   It might take 24 hours before it passes the moderator but then it should be easy to find.   If you have any other problem,s getting it please let me know and I'll do something else.

• Posted

Hello, I too have rls in legs and arms! I have been taking gabepentine for 3 months now and I must say currently I have had some let up of rls! Besides one night last week when I was up all night with it so bad!. I do have the odd night I feel it come on and may be uncomfortable for an hour but nothing as bad as it was. I am hoping that the gabepentine continue to work. I hope you get some let up real soon hun x
  • Posted

Hi

Like Graham, I am on the Fodmap diet and find it really works. I live in Brisbane Australia and have had RLS for over 30 years. I have tried everything and hated taking so many drugs. Now I take a 50mg slow release Tramal 3 hours before bed and on a fairly strict  Fodmap diet. The main food I am avoiding is the cows milk, and quite enjoyin lactose free milk. Please try the diet, I wish I had tried it years ago.

good luck

Shirley

• Posted

There are several things you can do and most of them quite lo tec and simple.

The first ; get up , jump in the shower and stand there for 5mins. 

Taking a bath will bring the same results but your'll need to sit in it while it drains out completely .

Secondly; keep whole meal bread or Biuscuits in the house ( stop eating denatured white bread) when you feel this sensation starting within the legs eat a slice or try a Biuscuits or two and return to sleep.

if your interested I can explain why RLS is caused and one or two alternatives to the ones above depending on your sex male / female.

• Posted

Hi I have been on Neupro patches (Rotigotine 2mg) for almost a year now and the effect is nothing short of miraculous. It controls my acute RLS without any of the negative side effects, in fact I find it has made me a lot calmer and much better at handling stress. One negative is the occasional tiredness but all in all a small price to pay for a restful nights sleep. I hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hi think I was the same it. Started when I was 30,now 74 and for years it drove me mad up all night could go to friends or would,not go as my leg would jump I need to walk about and I also had 5children to look after ,but 8 years I changed doctors and this one put me onPramepixole and I,be not looked. But I take one at 2pm and  2at 7.30 pm don't give up try another doc if he doing nothing. Joyce.
  • Posted

Try Schweppes Indian tonic water one glass before you sleep without pills , it eorked for me I am so happy ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.