RLS nightmare

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hello all, I have had RLS for a few years now and it drives me mad. My gp won't do anything even though feeling sorry for me! Just lately it has got worse and is now in the arms too! Any advice would be grateful 

5 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Flangies

If you notice symptoms like extreme fatigue, brain fog, memory loss, depression, or painful tingling and numbness in your hands and feet, then you may be experiencing the early signs of vitamin B12 deficiency, despite eating a healthy diet of foods that are rich in vitamin B12.

If you suffer from a vitamin B12 deficiency and insomnia—and a surprising number of people these days do—then taking extra vitamin B12 may promote good restful sleep at night, and it will also boost your energy during the day, increase your ability to focus, and promote digestive, cardiac, and immune health as well.

Suffering from Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue? B12 to the Rescue!

Please note: Insomnia can result from an underlying medical disorder, in addition to vitamin B12 deficiency. Consult your doctor if you suffer from chronic insomnia.

The vitamin B12-melatonin connection

Vitamin B12 plays an important role in production of melatonin, the body’s “sleep hormone” which helps you fall asleep at night and get deep rest until morning. Melatonin is one of your best defenses against insomnia, but you need healthy amounts of vitamin B12 as well.

Melatonin in the blood rises sharply at sundown, making you feel sleepy, and will usually remain elevated for approximately 12 hours – essentially throughout the night – before the onset of sunrise.

As we get older, and vitamin B12 levels begin to plummet, it becomes more difficult to enjoy a good night’s sleep, due to a reciprocal decrease in melatonin. For that reason many senior citizens struggle with both vitamin B12 deficiency and insomnia.

Doctors have recently observed that a large percentage of Americans over age 60 suffer from a severe vitamin B12 deficiency.  Without vitamin B12, your body cannot produce sufficient melatonin, which is needed to help one sleep.

Many people who suffer from insomnia take melatonin pills to help them get to sleep. However, boosting the body’s ability to produce it by increasing vitamin B12 is a more naturally efficient option.

What is vitamin B12 good for?

Vitamin B-12, or cobalamin, is one of the B complex vitamins. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, Vitamin B-12 is instrumental for maintaining healthy nerve cells, synthesizing DNA and RNA, and regulating blood cells.  A vitamin B-12 deficiency can cause fatigue, irritability, digestive issues, and shortness of breath.

The elderly, vegetarians, and vegans tend to have a higher risk of developing a Vitamin B-12 deficiency.

Vitamin B12 for insomnia

If insomnia is caused by vitamin B12 deficiency, then it’s important to supplement with extra vitamin B12 immediately; untreated, vitamin B12 deficiency can lead to nerve cell deterioration and increased risk for heart attack and stroke. Ask your doctor for a vitamin B12 deficiency blood screening while discussing insomnia, and begin supplementation right away.

Take vitamin B12 with folic acid

Taking folic acid (vitamin B9) along with vitamin B12 is also helpful for insomnia, as vitamin B12 assists folate in building red blood cells and absorption of iron, both key components for good sleep health.

For some people, Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) is yet another cause of insomnia. Research has shown that RLS is related to a folic acid deficiency, and that taking more B vitamins can reduce RLS, helping to provide a full night of sleep, even in people with severe insomnia. It is thus recommended to take vitamin B12 along with vitamin B9 for maximum absorption.

If you do decide to try the B12 Patch Methyl cobalimin start in the morning and you can place it behind your ear for 24 hours twice a week.

Hope this helps

• Posted

hello Rose thanks very much for your useful response.  Vit B12 does it contain iron? I will need to checka s I have heamochromostosis and this is an iron overload and I have to be careful not to have rich iron foods

• Posted

Rose

We spoke a while ago Re RLS

Your helpful comments regarding vit b12 and folate deficiency.... I do have this and am now on b12 shots and folic acid.... Since this the rls has virtually gone, with only the odd night of it. I still take pregabilan nightly.

• Posted

Hi Flangies

I think you should just google that and ask you alternative doctor what would be the best for your health.I am sleeping well now and after trying just about evertjhtng alternative I decided to go back on my sleeping tablets Zopiclain and well I sorted out the insomnia and restless legs in one shot.But I am doing this temporary until I have my Hormonal treatment sorted and hoping this  sleepless ness woud go away. the bonus is I use to stopeating carbs and anything sweet after five I can eat this and the tablet numbs the nervers going fot the legs and I sleep wonderfull.hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Rose,

I have taken Zopoclone tablets and they were not strong enough 7.5mg a night and the RLS just takes over. I am also on 900mg three times a day for my Fibromyalgia and also Pramipexole.  Iam also diabetic and because I get no rest at night it causes my Blood Glucose to rise. I am on Insulin, Metformin and Sitagliptin for my Diabetes.  I have tried Tens machines for my RLS but it just makes my legs jerk even more.  

I am going to look into the B12 and Folic Acid to see what they could do to my diabetes and fibro.

I will keep you informed.

Thanks xx

• Posted

Ask your doctor to refer you to a nerologist I am seeing one at the moment and he is trying to get to the bottom of the problem.    Also the doctors donot understand how it affect us. When I saw my old doctor several years ago    she said that I am bound to feel tired the next day as it is that my muscles have run a marathon the night before. After 50 years of this they still cannot find anything to help me.The Lidocaine plasters that I am on also seem to delay it for about 1 hour then it comes back with a vengeance as if saying to me SWHATEVER YOU TRY YOU WILL NOT WIN.  Sorry that I can not help completely      Jeannette xx
  • Posted

Hello

I have RLS and have done a lot of research on the subject.

There are a lot of theories about RLS, SIBO for one- Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth.

I could go into a long list of possible causes. But what I think I will do is explain two things I do that allow me to sleep quite well and get relief from RLS

1.       This is an exercise lasts about one minute done just before going to bed or when the irritation starts…stand only on the offending leg squat down bending as far as you can now it’s like doing squats with one leg you don’t straighten your leg just pump it from a squatting positon  up and down as long as you can you will feel your leg tighten and start to burn this is your leg muscles creating lactic acid this is what you want, you keep up this action till you can’t do it any more ,in my experience this is about a minute depending on your age physical shape. You might have to repeat this a couple of times a night if it flares up again, for me once a night works. If you need more instruction just contact me.

2.       The second way of getting relief ,very simple you use a tens machine, I put the 2 electric pads on my calf set it for as strong as I can stand two 15 minute sessions does the trick. This has the added advantage of a longer lasting accumulative relief doing this every night you might find the odd night you can go a night or 2 without using the tens machine and getting a good night’s sleep. Again any questions just contact me. Just have to add though RLS usually is accompanied by jumping leg, alas my RLS relief practices do not address this, but I am working on itJ. Let me know how this works for you if it helps please tell me.

• Posted

Hi Glen,

I used to do a lot of gymnastics and swimming but since I got Fibromyalgia I find it very difficult to do any exercerises at all.  I do stand against the wall and raise my heels and then my toes. But the only thing that stops it is standing up.  I used to only get RLS when I was laying down now it starts whether I lay down or sit down. It isn't either in the night it is now any time in the day or night.  As I am typing this it is again starting to crawl up my legs.  I got altogether 2 hours intermittant sleep last night.  Nothing helps just really tired and fed up.

Hugs xxx

• Posted

The idea is to do the one leg squats to get your musles to produce lactic acid ,doing this anytime you feel the RLS .the procedure  should only last under a minute. did you try it.. its been alowing me to sleep quite soundly.

might have to repeat if it wakes me. i know this has worked for lots of people...I walk 2km every night but it has no impact on the RLS, just doing the one legged squats works.

gotta try it smile if your in dought about how to do the one leg squat ill come up with a more indepth description. smile

• Posted

Hi

I know how you feel GPS don't really understand but my Dr at the hospital put me on ropineral which is what they give Parkinson sufferers,also I found taking iron and folic acid supplements which you can buy over the counter,also tonic water can also help,I hope this helps you I feel for you because I too was very bad I thought I was going mad.

Good luck

Sharon67835

• Posted

2 most effective things for me, soaking in a hot bath and using a bean bag as follows:  I make my bean bags with flannel and the cover with fleece.  8 inches by 20 inches, fill with approximately 6 cups of winter red hard wheat berries (so when laying flat about 1 inch high).  Heat in microwave for 2-3 minutes, take out and move around to mix wheat berries, and heat another 2-3 minutes.  Lie in bed face down with rear end up (looking cute:-), and bag at back of knees, between both legs, touching thighs and calfs.  Instant relief.  The wheat berries will stay warm for up to 30 minutes. Adjust legs to what is comfortable over time. 
    • Posted

Hello there

Nice to hear from you and thanks for the information and advice. Gonna try that.

One thing tho, I found my rls to be a b12 deficiency. Pernicious anemia is what I have been diagnosed with.

Since takin b12 shots and folic acid my rls has for sure improved greatly

• Posted

After having rls for 10 years and trying every prescription and had terrible side effects like brain freeze and acute nausea I found that a really cold spray of water shocked the nerves and stopped the spasms. This was awful however to do in the middle of the night as it would wake me up but relief wss worth it. Then my daughter told me she takes 2 midol without caffine as soon as it starts. I have started using midol and rls is completely gone in 15 min. I don't know why but it works for me. No more cold showers. I hope it works for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.