RLS Relieved by MRI scan

Posted , 2 users are following.

I recently had an MRI on my ankles (in preparation for surgery).

As the MRI was due to take 2 hours, I was concerned that my RLS would kick in, especially as I am off my medication (Ropinirole) at the moment.

However, the opposite happened. I was blissfully free from RLS throughout the scan and this continued for 2 days before returning to it's current medium level. (When it gets back to high level - as it inevitably will - I will return to medication).

During the scan, the RLS wasn't just very low level, it was non existent: I felt a sense of relaxation and comfort in my legs I haven't felt for months, even years.

I don't know why. It could be the magnets, or maybe - and I feel this more likely - it was the low frequency vibrations from the very loud noises an MRI makes giving my muscles low level rhythmic stimulation.

Has anyone experienced this? And has anyone researched "low frequency sound vibration" as an RLS treatment?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

i have been do reluctant to have a MRI due to my RLS so this is very encouraging news. i hope it has been the same for others

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.