RLS - RESTLESS LEG SYNDROME.

Posted , 14 users are following.

PLEASE HELP, I HAVE THIS MOST NIGHTS AND GET VERY LITTLE SLEEP, CERTAINLY NO QUALITY SLEEP. ANY ON THE SPOT HELP WIIL BE APPRIATED.

THANK YOU 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Go to your docs and ask for Rotigotine patches or pramipexole tablets. Avoiding high energy foods (eg chocolate) for a few hours before bed helps, as does a short jog or cycle.
  • Posted

Before starting on dopamine agonists (Ropinorole, Rotigotine etc) your doctor should do checks on your blood. You may be lucky and find it is an iron or magnesium deficiency. He will also need to check it definitely is RLS. You need to examine what makes it worse for you eg. Chocolate, spicy food, tiredness, stress, bed time. Your doctor is unlikely to be an expert and you will need to find out for yourself. There is an RLS forum which is very helpful and I found a book called Restless Legs Syndrome by Buchfuhrer Wayne and Hening very good.

Good luck!

• Posted

Neurologist prescribed Rotigotine (Neupro) patches for me and I have been almost symptom free for 14 months. I avoid alcohol and all cold remedies as they contain medicine which exacerbates the symptoms. Tiredness is also a trigger for me.
    • Posted

I have been on Rotigotine patches for about 1 1/2 months.  Noticing augmentation starting already and must suppliment with Robaxin - a muscle relaxant and norco (opiod pain killer) at night to keep 'jumpies and pain under control.  Patches were very successful with RLS so I put up with headaches.  Without patch my legs go crazy. Big factor for me of patches (1mg only) is a raging headache when I wake up in the morning.  Had same headaches on Requip (which augmented and I had to go off).  Wondering if you have experienced severe headaches on Neupro patches.
    • Posted

Yes I had headaches with Ropinorole and Rotigotine and augmented on dopamine agonists. Can no longer take them (including pramipexole). Gabapentin was better for headaches (seemed to avoid them), side effects worse (all sorts!) and then stopped working. Now on Tramadol (opiate) 100mg a day taken about 2-3 hrs before bed and it works well. Was having some bad nights and (can't believe it!) I cut out potatoes in my evening meal and now having superb nights.
  • Posted

Try to avoid coffee, tea, and caffeinated drinks as much as possible especially in the evenings. A tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with a half teaspoon baking soda usually relieves it in the evenings before bed. Try to avoid sweets at night as well. Try not to eat after 7:00. Green leafy vegetables helps as well. 
  • Posted

I have had this for 5 years and have followed this forum contributing at times.This is my perpective. I think you will find that this disease is life changing and often difficult to deal with but there is help. You do need to find a doctor that knows something about it which may not be easy. Doctors or even a psychiatrist that deal with nerve and movement disorders might be helpful. A good family physician would be the best. For me, I have found that ropinorole works well but I absolutely must take it at the same time every day or I have worse symptoms at night. Also I have had to accept that I do not get enough sleep. Something else may work for you. It is a trial and error process. I would caution against to much medication as I have found it can augment your symptoms. Eat foods that include lots of iron and magnesium. Good luck on your journey with this.
  • Posted

I have seen where any kind of Antihistamine, workes against my RLS, making it much worse, so I take those early in the day, I hardly drink coffee, or tea, eat chocolate in binges...I never noticed if the chocolate cause any kind of leg crazies..I have been on reqip for several years..can take 2 times a day if needed, I resist taking twice daily because of the sleepiness, and being sleepy when you can't get to sleep is another kind of hell.
  • Posted

I take over the counter Magnesium but if your Reservation is very severe as mine is then Ropinirol from Gp works most nights for me
    • Posted

For Reservation read RLS and ban predictive Text!
  • Posted

I have used Ropinerole and Gabapentin combination.  Do not let your doc limit the amounts of these perscriptions.  My neurologist allows me to take what I need,  Whatever people say are the negatives for medication... a decent sleep is worth it...in my non professional opinion.  One neurologist wanted to top out at 3 mg Rupinerole... as he checked his phone to see the recommended dose.  He said " well after 3 you just take no meds and put up with the unpleasantries and then when your body readjusts, you start with the meds again".  My current neurologist allows me to take more ropinerole. I am now taking 7 at night.  I get decent sleep,  I need to make sure I eat lightly before bed (so my stomach can absorb the meds I spose).  But anyway what I want to share is that your neurologist may limit you to only 3 mg.... my doesn't.  He says that 3 may be the highest amount that have been tested for patients and this is why 3 is the recommendation.  My doc says there are people with Parkensons who take 21 pills per day.  So why can't I take 7...or even more if needed?  He says...as long as I can tolerate it.  I asked him how do I know if I'm not tolerating and he said if I am groggie during the day.  I don't think I'm groggie.
  • Posted

Hi Billy and all,

I am a sufferer and have been on and off for years.  First time I was 22.

At times it is very bad.

Someone earlier mentioned magnesium but it had a bad effect on their digestion.  It doesn't have such a bad effect on most people and it is good to take a high dose.

Something really effective that I have discovered in recent months is a magnesium spray - BetterYou Goodnight pure mineral spray, magnesium oil.

It is very good.  Quite messy, I stand on a big towel when I spray it on legs and feet (sometimes put on tops of arms and shoulders too), then I rub it in.  I do it a while before going to bed and then again just prior to bed.  It does work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.