Roaccutane dry skin & acne

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I’m about to start taking Roaccutane/Isotretinoin and I understand that it can make your skin very dry, very quickly. It’s an acne treatment, but I feel like if I treat the dry skin on my face with a rich moisturiser I might just make my acne worse. Has anyone else with acne taken this medication and if so how did you deal with its effects? Did you need to change to a dry scalp/dandruff shampoo?

Thanks!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You will need something for your lips to use regularly. There are many products for this. Google hyaluronic acid. This product attracts Moisture to your skin. You can use it topically or take it orally with capsules. Both might be a good idea depending how dry you get. Go to a well-known supplement site. Read some reviews from customers. This will help you make a decision on what to purchase.
    • Posted

Thanks Harry. I’ve always had dry lips so I’m well stocked for that. I have a cold cream lip balm by Avene that I use overnight that’s brilliant, and then the carmex vanilla stick is the longest lasting occlusive lip balm that I’ve ever found. 

I’ll try some hyaluronic acid. My skin is quite sensitive as well, to make matters worse, so it’s been difficult to find the right products. 

• Posted

Hi could u please tell me how your getting on ? I started taking this nearly 4 weeks ago and I'm currently battling a two week brake out , hoping the drug will help more over time 😔

• Posted

Hi Lucy,

I started taking Roaccutane in January and so far my acne is gone, but it hasn't made much (if any) impact on my HS. I have a bad breakout right now from an unknown cause that has been driving me nuts. The medication has made me fatigued when exercising with persistent soreness afterwards and bizarrely it has given me sore tendons in general (the backs of my heels mostly, but only if I've been sitting around at home). The side effects probably started after a month of taking the medication. It was worth taking the medication for my acne but unfortunately not helpful for the HS.

• Posted

Hi skellitor 😊 , sore mussels are a side effect all from your waist down apparently, I don't have acne they put me on it purely for HS , I have had a break out 3 weeks into taking it but it wasn't as bad as usual but it's still taking me a while to get rid off the break up weeks nearly 3 but there small marble size not golf ball size , ive not read overly good things about it fir HS only , what dossge are u on hes put me up to 60 .

I've also started the night shades diet the last 3 days and the ones I had under my armpit cleared up like over night one even went down without getting bigger but only time will tell , I tell you what I did usr though , I mixed tuermic into a paste with water put it on a small boil I had left it all day took it off in the evening and it poped like a dream very clean less scaring, usually mine are a nightmare and leave scarring, so maybe try that on yours

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.