Roaccutane - joint/muscle pain after only 1 week

Posted , 3 users are following.

My daughter, aged 16, has had moderate, persistent acne for over 2 years and nothing has worked on a long term basis.  She has scarring on her forehead. She was finally referred to a dermatologist who recommended Roaccutane.

She started 1 week ago on 20mg daily but within days was experiencing lower back and joint pain.  She rated this on a scale as 5 out of 10 for pain and said she “felt like an old woman”.  She isn’t an active girl, no sports etc, but has a weekend housekeeping/waitressing job which is light duties only.  I called the dermatologist who said it was unusual to have so much pain (in the absence of strenuous exercise) and to stop for a week to see if pain subsides.  If it does, to return using 10mg daily for two weeks then alternating 10mg and 20mg for a further fortnight.  Daughter is frustrated that she’s in so much discomfort.  We expected dry skin/lips and have been adequately prepared for that.  We knew joint/muscle pain was a possibility too (and are vigilant for many of the other side effects too) but we didn’t expect it to develop so quickly and to be as sore.  Has anyone else experienced this to such a degree?  She would be devastated if Roaccutane wasn’t suitable for her but I am worried about her enduring this sort of pain (and indeed whether it goes after completing the course).  Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I started taking roaccutane one week ago and have been experiencing bad joint pain and cracking/popping. I've decided to stop taking it. I hate my acne, and I was really looking forward to this being the cure, but I simply cannot risk getting some kind of long term joint issue from this drug (as many people have done). I wasn't expecting to have bad side effects like this so quickly!

• Posted

As my dermatologist herself said, it's an incredibly serious drug and no one knows the long term effects it has on the body. 

• Posted

Sorry to hear about this. How was your daughter after stopping? My back pain has gotten worse since on it (5th month now) but I had it before so I don't know how much I can attribute it to this. Side effects haven't been bad for me. Dry lips (Aquaphor skin balm - miracle) and a bit of eczema on my hands. Cannot wait to finish it though tbh.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.