Roaccutane queries, unsure what to do!

Posted , 4 users are following.

HI all, i am new to this forum thing but here goes! :-)

I have been on roaccutane since 1st January 2014, for the first month i took 20mg every day then the months after i took 40mg daily. When i originally attended to the see the derm he said that the treatment would be 6 months ( 8 months tops), but on my last appointment he said it would 12 -18 months. I am unsure what to do as me and my partner are wanting to try for a baby ASAP so i am feeling a little deflated. Every time I attend an appointment with the derm he is never very helpful and I generally wait longer than I am in consultation with him. I have also suffered with recurrent thrush and vaginal dryness since being on roaccutane and wondered if anyone else had the same symptoms, as when I asked the derm he said that wasn't a side effect!

Has anyone else been on roaccutane that long?

Should I change dermatologist?

Any advice or information would be super!

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

I didn't have the thrush symptons but I can understand that happening as when you are on anti-biotics (which roaccutane kind of is) it killed off good bactaria which creates those symptons. I was only taking it for 4 months, and I was still told not try for a baby for atleast a year after taking it, so even if you stopped now you would still have to wait a while as it takes a year to leave your system completly. I would strongly rule out trying for a baby for a while sorry to say.

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, it is really helpful! My derm only told me a month after so i am glad I put this on here. He is so unhlepful.

Thanks again!

• Posted

Hi Danielle, I was on roaccutane for around 4 months and my dermatologist explained to me there is a limit to how much you can take dependant on your weight, and that the course could be longer or shorter depending on how the drugs affected me, I chose to make the course shorter by taking a higher dose as side effects for me were just overheating & sweating very easily. (I went up to 60mg I think) I don't understand why you would be on it for 18 months? Maybe talk to a GP for advice about it as they may have the knowledge but be unable to prescribe & changing dermatologist would be a nightmare the waiting lists are so long! I didn't experience the vaginal dryness but my mouth & lips became very dry.  

• Posted

Thanks for the reply,

He told me about the weight and the amount you can take which is why I don't understand how the length of treatment has changed, my acne has all but gone and i haven't doubled in weight so I am really unsure. I have asked my GP as I have moved to a different area and they said if I wanted to change I could have an appointment within the next 4 weeks, so I am contemplating that. I do suffer from dry skin and super dry lips.

• Posted

Hi all, me again!

Had my appointment this afternoon with my new dermatologist, she is amazing. Completely different experience to my old one. The good news is I will only be on it for another 2 possibly 3 months which has made my day.

Thanks for all the advice and support.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.