Roaccutane Severely damaged lips

Posted , 10 users are following.

**Extremely sore lips**

I have been on Roaccutane twice (April - October 2015 (40mg) & May - June 2016 (80mg)). I stopped taking the tablets In June 2016 for two reasons; my skin was clearing up and secondly because my lips were becoming unbearable with the pain that my dermatologist recommended. The problem started after I stopped my first cycle back in October 2015, the skin on my lips were more dry than usual and would easily fall off if they got damp but I was able to maintain them if I constantly moisturized and didn't bite them. As the months went on I noticed they were getting worse, the skin was weaker and more of it was coming off so I visited my Dermatologist who advised me to use Bepathen.  So I tried that and it didn't work so I tried different balms like beeswax and natural honey. I saw some improvements but if I took a shower skin would fall off and I would just go back to square one so I just started to ignore it and get on with my life.   When I noticed my acne was getting really bad in March this year, even worse than the first time I was prescribed In April 2015, I started taking roaccutane again and that's when my lips got severe.  My lips were already fragile so the tablets on top made my lips even worse; the skin is extremely raw with burning sensation that is unbearable at times. It's mainly in the center of my lips, top and bottom where the skin constantly peels off from the contact of water and food resulting in a weeping residue which then turns into a thin white layer over the lips.  No matter how gentle I apply balms the skin instantly comes off; it feels like the wound is deeper as if more layers of skin has come off.  I obviously made a stupid mistake by upping my dose from 40mg to 80mg without my dermatologists consent, I couldn't deal with the stress and anxiety that it caused me once before so I thought if I doubled the dosage it would heal quicker, which it seemed like it did but my lips paid the consequences.  So it's been 3 weeks since I stopped accutane and my lips still won't heal and I don't understand why nothing is working I tried many products; Hydrocortison 0.5%, clotrimazole 2.0%, Vaseline, beeswax, Honey etc.  My dermatologist assured me I don't have a fungal, bacteria infection or an allergic reaction but I know that this is not normal.  I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions with creams (steroid's) I should try with dietary recommendations?  I do eat well with a balanced diet and vitamin supplements but my immune system isn't the best. My lips are covered in Vaseline and Hydrocortison 0.5% so I can't take a photo right now - apologies.  I really need help, I feel so uncomfortable to leave my house as I suffer from anxiety. 

Thank you for reading,

A

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello,

Firstly, I am sorry to hear you have had this expert with roaccutane.

I think I might have some experience which might be useful.

I had a lot of side effects during my courses of roaccutane, one of which was unbearably dry lips - my lips pealed off in actual sheets - like they were fake plastic lips! It was like constant sunburn, and constant bleeding. They barely ever had a chance to scab because they were always peeling but when they did it was - a. w. f. u. l.

Nights were the worst, it got to the point where I would set alarms during the night to wake up and reapply vaseline and paw paw cream.

Ok, so I found 2 things counteracted this side effect enough for me to continue my roaccutane course;

1) sudocrem.

Sudocrem is a miracle worker. I use it on it on my skin to this day and you would never know I had acne to the extreme I did. The scarring, the scabs, the pain, it helps it all. If I have a sore, the first thing I do is use sudocrem. Chapped lips? Sudocrem. But the sudocrem eased the pain of my raw, peeling roaccutane lips -- it stays on overnight , creating a protective layer, unlike vaseline etc which your dry dry skin sucks up.

I cannot sing its praises enough.

Buy a BIG tub and smother your mouth in it!

Oh, it is bright white though -- so you may want to just do it at home :p

2) vitamin E capsules ...

But - you get a pin, and prick the end of the vitamin E capsule, and squeeze the oil onto your lips.

I found this to work to heal my lips once the sudocream got rid of the initial pain and unbearable rawness.

I still do this on dry skin and I'll tell you it works wonders.

All my best to you , I hope you feel better soon.

Please try sudocrem!

• Posted

Sorry to hear about this. I'm in my 5th month (1st month 20mg, 2nd month 40mg, 3rd and 4th month 60mg and now back to 20mg. 60mg was giving me back pain and eczema on my hands).

My lips have been perfect throughout ONLY thanks to Aquaphor skin balm (not their lip balm, the actual skin balm). I have tried 20 different ones just in case but that has been my saviour. Can't recommend it enough.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.