Roaccutanne Tips on how to help my 13 year old daughter

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, 

My 13 year old daughter started on 40mg a day last week, symptoms so far include dry skin, really dry lips, flakey scalp and she is saying her nose is sore.

I have got her a tin of vasaline lip care and an oil free moisturiser but does anyone have any other hints or tips to help her through the 4 month course and anything i can do to support her?

Thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hiya. 

I am nearly at the end of my 6 month course and I must say it is really good. I have had my symptoms for about 3 months and it hasn't been nice at all. My lips, eyes and nose has been really bad. I was just using Vaseline but it wasn't really working in my lips. At night I've been putting it up my nose and leaving it and just putting a little on in the morning. For the lips and mouth, my mouth has been cracking at the sides which is really sore. For the eyes if they ever get sure, you need to get some "artificial tear drops" as the eyes do get dry. The best thing I have found for the face is tea tree oil. Just 3 drops in dilutes water which has been boiled. I have found it makes it feel so much better and isn't as dry. It is a awfully powerful drug but is so worth it. I hope it doesn't get her down too much! Best of luck! 

• Posted

Thank you for the reply, my daughter has suffered with acne now for 2 years, i keep trying to reassure her and i just want to be able to help and support her as much as possible. I will get her some tea tree oil and hopefully that will help.

Her lips are causing her the most issue at the moment as they have cracked in both corners.

She has not mentioned her eyes yet but it's only been a week, the dermatologist said the dosage would go up the next time we see her to 60mg, my daughter has tried so many different things and nothing had worked, so I'm really hoping that this does work for her. 

• Posted

No problem. Reassure her that it does work. My mum has took it aswell when she was my age. I think your daughter is taking it at a good age aswell. I am 21 and I find it really tough as it does get me down sometimes when my face is dry. For lip dryness, maybe try a lip balm called balmi. I have been using it and it soothes my lips, also carmex is good. Another one to try is "avene cold cream lip balm. It is expensive but it made them feel a lot better. It is is just a case of trying different products to see what works best. 
    • Posted

Georgia have you finished your treatment now? 

finished mine after 4 months on the highest dose and had a range of nasty symptoms aswell! I agree with you it does work and the symptoms are so so worth it! 

If you have been left with dry skin aswell I recommend Arbonne baby range and Aquaphor for your lips. It is like a vaseline but is 20x better. I was sorted overnight literally! all the best! x

• Posted

hi

im also on 40mg,started this week,how long does it take for one to start seeing symptoms beacuse i havent seen anything so far.

• Posted

thank you,i must say the more i hear about the symtoms the more im scared,but it the journey im prepared to walk because ive tried every thing with no luck,but i hear the results are good as well :-).

• Posted

Honestly if you want to make a change you have to see the symptoms. One if the best decisions taking these tablets. There are amazing! 
  • Posted

Hi, I've been on roaccutane for 16 weeks and I've experience really dry cracked lips,flaky scalp and a really dry crusty inside of nose, i found that Elizabeth Arden's 8 hour cream works magic, I put a little bit inside my nose in the mornings and  before bed and its relieved the dryness.  I apply it liberally to my lips throughout the day and it really helps. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hi Kezzy-May!

I finished roaccutane 6 months ago! It really really did change my life.

I had bad acne from the age of 8 to 18. I finished my 4 month course and my skin is amazing. I had dry skin all over my face, my nose and my lips for the whole duration of my treatment. The best thing i found was a product called 'Aquaphor' made my the brand Eucerin. It was an absolute miracle for me as nothing else had worked so far! It can be bought in any pharmacy in the USA and in the last few years it was brought to the UK and you can find it in stores like boots. 

The only problem I have been left with after Roaccutane is really really sensitive skin. Any moisturiser I put on my face stings, I have a bad reaction and my face goes bright red for about 10 minutes. It really is a pain as everything hurts! I also have very dry skin still, not to the extent of while I was on roaccutane but it is very dry to feel and also when i apply make up, i get skin coming off which is not nice! I found a woman who also had the same problem and was using a baby range from a company named Arbonne, all of their products are botanically based, safe and pure and contain no parabens, so no worries for returning acne in the future, which is what i was worried about. Anyway, to cut a long story short I used the ABC Baby care range the face wash and the lotion and it has absolutely rejuvinated my skin. It is soft to touch, it doesnt sting, it is smooth and not dry at all! It really is my saving grace. 

It really was my saving grace along with Aquaphor! I highly recommend both! Good luck with the rest of your daughters treatment, I hope her life is changed for the better as mine was smile x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.