Roaccutanne When does it take effect?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been taking Roaccutane for the last 4 months, I have been told that I would be on them for 5 months. Apart from slightly dry lips I have not sufferd any other side-effects (not that I'm complaining) apart from feeling slightly low from time to time. I was told by my dermatologist that it works differently for every patient however after 4 months on the tablets my spots have not improved at all. My back is still covered and if anything it is slightly worse than when I began. Has anyone else experienced this or that miraculously the spots have dissapered in the last month after having no improvement before that.

Any information would be great. Thank you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gethin, I finished a course of roaccutane last November, my course lasted 4 months starting on 30mg a day and ending on 60mg. I also didn't suffer much in the way of side effects. My spots did get worse before they got better but I have to admit by half way through the course my skin was perfect. I am aware that roaccutane affects everyone differently but it seems strange that it isn't working, maybe your problem isn't as simple as acne? Roaccutane works by reducing the amount of sebum we produce so that our pores don't become so clogged up with rubbish, maybe your problem isn't that you produce too much sebum, its something else? Apparently the success rate of roaccutane is really high, I found this on a website _____

"Dosage and success rate

In 60 – 80 percent of people, the treatment can lead to a permanent cure at a dose between 0,5 – 1 mg/kg body weight per day for 16 – 20 weeks. New evidence suggest that a cumulative dose of 120 mg /kg body weight during the course at a daily dose of at least 0.75 mg/kg body weight may be more important than the duration of the treatment.

If acne persists or recurs a second full course may be considered any time after a two month gap following treatment.

Please note that some people – those with multiple macrocomedones and polycystic ovarian syndrome may take a while to respond to the treatment. In about 30 percent of patients, the acne becomes infected with the bacterium Staphylococcus aureus. Bacterial infections should be treated with the appropriate antibiotics. Note that tetracyclines should not be taken with isotretinoin.

With an expected 60 – 80 percent cure rate, 20 – 40 percent of people may need an extra oral antibiotics, hormonal treatment (Diane) or repeat isotretinoin.

People who might need a second course, include:

Those with severe acne

Those who have worsening acne before the age of 15

Women older than 25 years at the onset of treatment

Those with a prolonged history of acne

Those with loads of acne on the back or trunk

The presence of macrocomedones

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

An acne flare can be anticipated in 6 percent of patients early in the course."

This is really something you need to discuss with your dermatologist, they are there to help and as roaccutane is a last-resort drug they should be keen to help you. 

Patient Moderator Note: I have removed an URL (a link) from this reply as it was unsuitable for inclusion within these forums. If any user is interested in this removed information they should contact the author via the Private Messaging system requesting such. Thank you for your cooperation.

patient.info/forums/discuss/adding-links-to-posts-257271

patient.info/forums/discuss/private-messages-226361  

• Posted

Thank you for such an in depth reply. My dermatologist cancelled my appointment for the 16/07/14 and gave me an appointment in September. I managed to get an earlier one but not until August, by which time I will have finished the course. He asked his receptionist to pass on the message that I should show some patience. 

I leave for New Zealand on a working visa in October so I was hoping that everything would be clear by then. 

I can only hope that my last month on the tablets have better results than the previous 4.

Thanks again for your post.

• Posted

Wow your dermatologist sounds rubbish. Do you go to a clinic in a hospital, I would suggest more than one dermatologist works at the clinic, so surely you could get an appointment with somebody different? If I were you, I would call the clinic, explain your situation i.e. you are leaving in October so need to get treatment sorted prior to this. Also, I know at my local GP there are doctors there who are qualified dermatologists but are not allowed to prescribe as a GP, so maybe there is a doctor at your local surgery who could give you some advice or reassurance? I hope the roaccutane kicks in so you don't need to worry about it anymore! Enjoy New Zealand!
  • Posted

Hiya Gethin68718, 

It's not uncommon for your acne to worsen before getting better. That is one of the side effects that can happen, I think you should be patient, I know it's difficult but get to the 5 month mark and see what happens. 

Your acne may vanish completely closer to the end of your treatment. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.