Road Trip

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I have been suffering with Meniers for a very long time and my hearing loss is at 30 per cent.

More than vertigo attacks, it is the buzzing in my ears that bother me the most.

I am planning on doing a road trip but do not know if I can do it.  When travelling in a car for more than a few hours, I notice my 'buzzing' becomes much louder and bothersome.  Sometimes after winding roads, I notice more after we stop driving, that I am very dizzy. While being in the car, I do not notice it until we stop and then while sitting that's when it hits.

Winding roads and up and down hills seem to be the worst.

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and if so what can be done to help eliminate these troublesome symptoms.

I really would like to do this trip and we are talking of taking 4-6 weeks off to do this trip.

Many thanks for any suggestions!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Sharon I have the same problem when driving especially around bends the dizziness is insane. Can't offer any solutions really other than the usual medication for Menieres. I hate the dizziness so much that I would not put myself in that situation. Sorry can't help but you are not alone. Hopefully other members to give you remedy. Good luck

• Posted

hi sharonl,

I gave up driving because of the fear of an attack,

If i'm a passenger i lower the back rest and take a buccal

tablet for the nausea this helps me but its not a cure for the motion

sickness so my advice would be to let someone else drive or at

least share the driving..best of luck...stev.

• Posted

Hi Sharon.  Almost all MD sufferers have some level of anticipatory anxiety when it comes to driving, flying, cruising or most anything involving motion and or being far from home, etc.  Unfortunately the anxiety itself usually brings on MD symptoms such as vertigo, nauseous feelings, etc.  I've found that when I can eliminate (or at least reduce) stress/anxiety about a future travel event  my MD symptoms diminish accordingly.  I use Ativan (Lorazapan) of 0.5mg once I start feeling anticipatory anxiety coming on.  I take as many as 3 pills/day.  0.5mg is a very low dose and is not habit forming.  Do you have a sedative that you take?  If not, you might want to request one from your ENT doctor.

Another idea.....since driving motion creates severe problems for you, vestibular rehab might be beneficial.  I've mentioned multiple times on this forum that rehab when DONE EVERY DAY can in a matter of 4 or 5 weeks improve your vestibular system so that motion plays less and less a problem for you.  Not sure how soon you are taking this month trip but if you have time I would consider the rehab prior to the trip.

Good luck and I wish you the very best on your trip....

• Posted

Crazily, when I drive and can focus directly ahead and not moving my head (barring a spinning type vertigo), I seem to be better but also terrified I will become nauseous or have a spinning attack. Eating a small snack every few hours also seems to help - 1 cup yogurt with fruit, small sweet potato, or something like that with a low salt content but filling. I generally take a meclizine each morning with my blood pressure meds. It helps but does not stop attacks. If you have the ability to take several short breaks, especially if you can lay down for awhile may also be helpful. I wish I could say it would stop, but Menieres is so unpredictable, it makes it difficult to plan other than take a chance and have some alternatives ready as needed (stop at a hotel or camp ground earlier than planned for example). You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.