robot knee

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi i had a tkr about 12months ago and was wondering if that feeling of having a robot knee fitted ever gos away or are you allways consious of having a knee made of metal / plastic in your leg thanks

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I've been thinking the same thing myself today! I had a right TKR Oct 2014, which was misaligned & loose - the revision was done just over 10 months ago, & whilst I no longer need daily meds, can walk a few miles, etc, it is ALWAYS there - that feeling that something is inside my leg that is uncomfortable. I describe it as feeling like having a "cage" enclosing the new bits inside my leg! I needed to "run" for a lift that was closing yesterday - & it simply would not move fast enough. The spirit was willing, but the leg was not!

I am trying to live with it, as no way am I going to let anybody open this knee up for a 3rd time!

• Posted

I guess im lucky. After abt 4 months i never felt that i had alien part in my leg. All of a sudden knee felt a natural part of m
  • Posted

Hi Alan!

At first I felt like my left leg was a TREE TRUNK FILLED WITH CEMENT, so the only way was UP from there!😵

My right knee TKR went very smoothly, so after that I had TWO new knees.😊😊

I was VERY, VERY aware for quite a long time that I had TWO knees that were NOT my own original ones. As I learned how to walk properly again after YEARS of walking in ways that only those experiencing terrible pain in walking know very well, I became more confident.

Each time I tried something new with my new knees (raked leaves, went grocery shopping, went up and down longer staircases, stood for MANY hours at recent campaign rallies, etc.), I got more confidence. My knees began to feel more like a real part of my body.

Each new challenge is a bit scary at first for me. My newest challenges over the last couple weeks included climbing up into the cab of our son's new Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel truck and dancing at his wedding. Both went well, so my confidence continues to build.

I am careful not to pivot or kneel. I use handrails going up and down steps. I try to think before moving, and I stretch before standing if I have been sitting awhile. Things have gone well for me since my two TKRs in 2015; I hope to keep safe and avoid falls.

I am EXTREMELY grateful to be pain-free and able to resume doing so many things that I enjoy. I guess one day I will "forget" about having new knees, but for now they are my welcome "friends" who have given me my life back!

Yea, NEW KNEES!🙌😊😁🙌

• Posted

Alan, I am also 12 months out from right knee replacement and had my year check up not too long ago.  That subject was brought up with Dr. - my knee didn't quite feel like a real knee - more mechanical - different shape than my non surgical one.  He said that it will feel different because it's not the real thing....it's an artificial knee.  But I'm ok with that because it works and there's very little discomfort - a bit, but not a problem.  Of course, others on here may have to totally different take on their experience.... we're all "in the same house, but we're in different rooms".  Good luck!!

Mary Ann

• Posted

I'm only 14 weeks post op with my TKR. I hate the way my knee feels, it stiffens up and when I try to bend it feels like it will crack. I am very aware that there remiss something mechanical in my knee. I do hope this improves but I'm not hopeful if I'm honest. When I look at the scar and think what is inside my knee it makes me feel sick and I could get quite hysterical about it but have to keep a grip. I was pinning so much on this new knee but it's not going to plan. I start an 8 week knee rehabilitation course in the gym on Monday so hoping this helps. Consultant appt on Monday afternoon. I don't think he will be pleased with me (again) but I am not going down the manipulation route. I will pay to see a private physio first. I just think my physio should have tried moving my leg more but hasn't even touched it! I've been doing all my exercises every day, several times, icing it, resting it, elevating it but still the pain and stiffness goes on. I hope your robotic feeling in yr knee improves! Good luck

• Posted

Almost 5 months post op, I don't mind the feel of my knee but when does the stiffness on rising from chair or bed and the accompanying pain finally go? Or is it there forever? Walking is fine, just when bending and getting up and down.

• Posted

Lucie

Walking is fine for me. I'm walking my 10,000 steps a day no problem. Stiffness, numbness on outside of knee and discomfort from bursitis on inside of knee persist. I'm basically accepting these issues as part of the deal. 1 year out.

Mary Ann

• Posted

Hi..I had my op 5 weeks ago.. and I just keep walking and massaging my knee and try to think of my knee as real.... it's how you perceive it all... I'm just happy my pain has gone...... good luck.. and keep up the hood work....

• Posted

I had both knees replaced October 1014 and as of yet don't feel that they are my normal knees. The left one feels more normal, the right one has knee cap issues. Anytime they are brushed by something, I'm reminded that they are prosthetics.

-Mo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.