Robotic assisted hysterectomy ??????

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello I'm sarah im 24 year old and yesterday my hysterectomy has been agreed by two gynecology professionals one of them being the surgeon

And I have also had my pre op assessment and am now just waiting for a date however the surgeon has said he will perform the surgery by robotic assisted key hole surgery

And I was wondering if anyone else has had this type of hysterectomy and any I formation you can give me would be muchly appreciated

Such as recovery , pain relief and generally the good the bad and the ugly

As much information as possible

Thank you very much

smile

Xxxxx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah

I think you are probably very fortunate to have this method of hysterectomy offered to you.  I had mine done vaginally and my recovery was fantastic.  My surgeon (Nick Elkington at Frimley Park Hospital) was a leading expert on this and robotic surgery - he has a website if you google him and he believes strongly about mininal invasive surgery i.e. keyhole and robotic.

I was surprised when I joined this website to hear that so many women still have the full abdominal surgery which is far more invasive and takes much longer to recover from.

I'm sure if you do some research it will reassure you that you are one of the lucky ones!

Good luck

Shani

x

• Posted

Take it easy for at least four weeks don't do any lifting and any work just take 10 mins walks and pain relief every four hrs or when you need it
  • Posted

Hi Sarah

I had my op 6 weeks ago via robotic surgery by Mr Elkington , I have five tiny incersions , so recovery is faster that abdominal surgery . I was in and out in two days, went back to work today for 4 hours , feeling the pinch now and a heavy draggy sensation in vagina ☺️ I had a full hysterectomy X sure it's painfull once done but gets better as the weeks progress , just listen to your body and do what you can , don't rush , I did and have bleed again

Wish you much luck and a speedy recovery

• Posted

Hi Sarah 

I am 4 days recovering from laparoscopic total hysterectomy..I am not in severe pain ..I am still tired but am up walking ..I live alone so I had to cope by myself ..It was hard at first getting out of bed but I figured it out ..Getting up and walking the first day of surgery is not so bad ..You will experience gas from this procedure ..but the more you walk the easier it is to relieve..I believe this is the only way to go ..the Surgeon is in total control of the DaVince robotic arms ..The only pain med I have taken since being home is Motrin 600 and only when I really think I need to ..The pain afterwards is not relly bad as you think..I found a way to kneel down to let my dogs out and I do dishes and whatever else I can do without pushing or pulling ..like vacuuming ..that is a no no until you are fully healed ..I cannot lift more that a gallon of milk..I hope this helps you ..any more information you would need I would be happy to answer ..smile

• Posted

Hi Sarah

I am on day 8 of my vaginal robotic assisted hysterectomy. They left the ovaries but took tubes,uterus and cervix. The best advice is do keigles before and after it will help. Also , during a ton of water before and after your surgery, in addition to stool softener to got liquid probiotics and took them 3x a day that helped avoid yeast infection and bowel function. I took the pain killers for the first 5 days along with the antiinflamatories and now stopped the pain killers just on anti inflamatories. Soon to wean off. I am taking my time so I can fully recover. I took 2.5 weeks off work to be safe, no lifting etc...really I could go back after 10days but I am a preschool teacher and I also teach ice skating so I thought it's best to rest as much as possible to go back and not have to relapse with more time off. The pain is dull, never really hurt that much, just tired ...listen to your body everyone is different. Feels more like a bad period cramps for a while. Good luck with yours!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.