ROBOTIC ASSISTED TOTAL HYSTERECTOMY

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am 60.  I'm having surgery Dec 28 due to possible ovarian cancer in right ovary (left had cancer 1993)  Read so many things on line about women having organ prolapses, organ damage during surgery, urine issues after this and regretted having it.  Has anybody had a 100% POSITIVE RECOVERY as now I'm scared  .  

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Suzy, I was 61 when I was diagnosed stage 1A endometrial cancer ad total hysterectomy and bi-lateral salpingo oopherectomy a couple of weeks after diagnosis, all good here, I didn't experience any pain after surgery (all done vaginally with laparascopic help, should have been a robotic surgery but I couldn't get to that hospital, whole different story), the only problems I had afterwards was a bit of constipation which I think most ladies have, yes your organs do migrate a bit further south, I know some ladies have experienced prolapse but I believe that is reasonably rare, I was lucky in as much as my sister had previously had a hysterectomy so I was able to pick her brains about it, she had a good experience or as much as you can after major surgery LOL, the ladies on this forum helped get me though it as well, I also have had bouts of cystitis which may or may not be down to the shifting of bladder and bowel but that is better than the alternative, I would say my recovery has been about 85% positive which I am OK with.

Phoebe x

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your story with me and glad they caught it while t was stage 1A.  After I stopped reading the horror stories from women online( lol)  I did research through reputable cancer clinics this..  And I now feel strongly to take this in steps:  

1.  Have Surgery Dec 8, but only have the remaining ovary and fallopian tube removed.

2.  Wait for pathology.

3.  If even borderline malignancy - have an immediate hysterectomy.

Not sure the doctor is going to be happy with my "change of heart", but just don't want to rush into something that might ?? not be necessary depending on the pathology.  At that point, I will have no qualms about proceeding with removal of the uterus/cervix, but right now, something in me doesn't feel "right" about it until I KNOW FOR SURE if the ovary even has a definite malignancy.  Kind of expecting a call tomorrow from the doctor to try to retalk me into it as I JUST sent out the E-mail... stating this.  But I just feel it's too drastic, too soon without a definite pathology on the ovary.  What would a 1 week or so delay hurt??  I will just feel more at peace then if I knew for certain that the total hysterectomy has to be done due to the ovary being malignant in the slightest.  Then I wouldn't have any doubts, any fears, and would accept any problems happening down the road, knowing I didn't have any choice if I wanted to save my life...  Make sense???  Kind of dread the phone call from the MD tomorrow after she reads the E-mail. .  Do you have to have chemo or anything (hope not since you had the total hysterectomy)  Suzy

• Posted

I think this site is skipping letters I'm typing on the keyboard.  Surgery is December 28th. 

• Posted

Yes that happens to me as well, thought it was just me lol.

No, no chemo or anything else, just having follow up appointments with my wonderful consultant every 6 months for 3 years, I say wonderful because he said right from the onset that he wouldn't do anything I wasn't happy with, all doctors should be like that, it is after all your body, I was supposed to have a full MRI but refused it and it wasn't mentioned again, Only do what you are happy with Suzy.

Phoebe x

• Posted

So glad you didn't have to endure chemotherapy.  I just have to go with my instincts and not the doctor scaring or pressuring me into something.  All I want is to know the pathology of the ovary before proceeding, then can move forward  with the total hysterectomy wholeheartedly knowing it's the right thing, where now, I'm thinking if it the Ovary is NOT MAGLIGNANT at all, WHY do this,,,,,,,  Can open a whole new can of worms unnecessaiy... I initially thought all they were going to do is remove the remaining ovary, so when she said total hysterectomy including uterus, cervix, I was a bit "stunned" but she said there could be a cancer cell outside the ovary in the other female organs..  so fear of the unknown I agreed.  HOwever, if the OVARY IS TOTALLY BENIGN, then there wouldn't be any cancer cells outside the ovary if the ovary is NOT cancerous...  A 1+ week delay waiting for pathology is certainly NOT going to make a difference in the scheme of things but would sure give me peace of mind knowing I HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO HAVE THE HYSTERECTOMY.  Wonder how she's going to react, and no doubt will call me.  YOur doctor sounds very very caring.... Not all are like that...  I used to have a very carrying gyne/oncologist I've followe up with since 1993 when I had left ovarian cancer.  He was WONDERFUL.  THE BEST.  He CLOSED HIS PRACTICE so I had NO CLUE where my chart was, so tracked down on his associates who worked with him who moved to another practice he closed.  I trusted him completely, but I don't think it's too much to ask to take the ovary out, wait for pathology, and THEN PROCEED if need be...  You're right - it is OUR BODY.... If it's malignant - I won't be able to rush back fast enough to have the hysterectomy, but feel strongly the need to know if it is maglinant, and if not, the hysterectomy would have been unncessary.....  Dread the phone confrontation I'm sure will occur later today with the doctor.  lol   I think sometimes we get pressured into things, and take what the MD says at face value.  Yours must be great, as you refused the MRI and he accepted your decision.  HOw lucky for you to have found him.   

• Posted

Yes I was lucky, I am very claustrophobic so there wasn't any way I was going into a metal tube..........................eeeek!

• Posted

They do have open MRI's at some places now, or they could sedate you, or drink a long island ice tea.  lol   

• Posted

Yes I had read about the open ones but I don't need it now thank goodness. My GP laughs at me as I question everything, I used to work in a hospital so I suppose that helps/gives me the confidence to do it.

• Posted

Hi, Suzzie,

I can understand where you're coming from, but if you have a malignancy, it needs to be removed right away.  And different cancers spread by different means.  

That is why cancer of the uterus is biopsied, but not typed and staged until after the surgery is performed. Cancers of the female reproductive system are tricky.  

Surgery is also hard on your body. I understand that you are concerned that the doctor is doing too much too fast, but you also need to be able to trust that your doctor has medical knowledge that you do not have. 

The above being said, I know you will make the decision that's best for you! xx

• Posted

I too worked in a hospital for 27 years as an Executive assistant to the ER physicians.   Must be a hospital-worker type trait - questioning. lol  I now type transcription for the last 11 years for a medical transcription company, pay is awful, but I get to work from home and do it mainly for the benefits and just increased my piano students since i didn't have travel time anymore.   Sometimes doctors don't lke you to question what they say, but I think we're own responsible for our own health.  

• Posted

I totally agree.  Haven't heard back from the doctor yet.  BUt I want the remaining ovary TAKEN OUT along with the tube BIOPSIED and even if it's borderline malignancy I will whole heartedly immediately have the total hysterectomy.  But for my own peace of mind, need to know it's even MALIGNANT before doing this drastic surgery, which could be for NOTHING if the ovary is not cancerous.  My CA125 blood tests are normal.  The pelvic/abdominal ultrasound don't show anything else anywhere.  Pap Smear is normall and all blood work came back normal..  So....  I just need to have them do the biopsy, let me now if it's cancerous in ANY WAY, and will gladly proceed with a total hysterectomy.  But, what if it is NOT cancer.  Pretty radical surgery if the ovary is NOT cancerous. I know sometimes doctors odn't like us to question them, but I feel compelled to know what I'm dealing with - cancer or no ovarian cancer  before proceding forward.  If it is cancer even low grade or borderline, they won't be able to get the rest of the organs out fast enough for me.... Dread the phone call I know is coming from the doctor.   

Hopefully you never had to go through this but you seem quite knowledgeable about it, so maybe you unfortunately had this experience. Thank you for writing and for your thoughts and ideas.  Appreciate the support.    

• Posted

Hi, Suzzie,

I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer in July, and had a complete hysterectomy.  I don't regret doing it.  I had a small, non-functional cyst on my left ovary and had been in menopause for over 10 years.

But, I wanted everything that was cancerous, or might become cancerous removed.  I hope that everything works out for you!

• Posted

Just dropped in as I haven't been to this website in a while. Glad to hear you are still doing well, Phoebe. I'm also OK, but still have an area about 3x6 inches at the top of my leg which is completely numb. It never did come back. I will be 3 years post-hysterectomy next May. Did you have any lymph nodes removed, Phoebe?

• Posted

Hi there, lovely to hear from you, so glad you are OK, what explanation did you get about the numbness? I remember you talking about it a couple of years back, it's odd the feeling has never come back, I am 2 years post op on Thursday (I think) how time flies, no didn't have any lymph nodes removed, how about you? (sorry can't remember if you already said or not), I'm struggling with the weight I put on back then, it's frustrating and have had recurrent cystitis though my GP says it isn't related to the op an awful lot of women on here would dispute that, other than these niggles I am doing great.

• Posted

I am 64. Last week I had everything removed due to large cyst on right side. Not had results yet but not expected to be nasty. Since September I had got fat and really slowed down. I had to give up my activities. Walking was difficult - my side ached if I moved too fast. I had brain fog.  Bowel and bladder were affected. Six days after operation I can only say that I feel so much better. Yes I have some discomfort around operation but I am taking it easy as they say to. I am sleeping a lot but I was before. I am hoping this will improve. The lower part of my abdomen is still fat but my stomach is not so bad. Best of all my bowel and bladder are much improved.  I have a good excuse for only wearing comfortable trousers. It was my choice to have total abdominal hysterectomy as I didn't want chance of anything happening again. I have a wonderful friend who has had ovarian cancer for 17 years. She is the busiest most helpful and cheerful person I know and a fantastic role model. 

• Posted

lol to the excuse for wearing comfortable trousers.  I'm sure you'll feel better - as it's only been a week.  Hope you get good pathology results.  Please let me know the results.  Your friend is inspirational - 17 years wow - gives hope to ovarian cancer patients .  Please read the response I sent Phoebe as I think I want to await the pathology on the ovary before proceeding with the full hysterectomy...  And I'm going to go with my instinct.  If it's cancer in any way, even borderline, then I will whole heartedly go forward with the hysterectomy but want to know if the ovaryl is malignant at all?  Suzy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.