Robotic or laparoscopic surgery ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Thank you wonderful people and your detailed communication on the forum.

Yesterday my surgeon mentioned that I need to heal for 30 days before she can do surgery. I can choose robotic or laparoscopic surgery. I had 3 flair ups in 2 months,  each time I was in tremendous pain for 2 weeks, I am still on the 2 antibiotics, over 35 days now, I am taking the 2 antibiotics twice a day, I am women, 52 years old, still on soft food diet, I am scared to touch any other foods or fresh foods, everything I eat is over cooked and purée. Please share your experience 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Violeta,

I had mine done robotically April 9th. Best thing I ever did! I was so sick from Dec until my OR. Like you I had been on antibiotics for a month that resulted in neuropathy in my hands and foot.  I was a hot mess! 

The  surgery for me was pretty easy. I was in for 3 days. Went home on Tylenol. Make sure you drink plenty of water and walk a lot.. You will be fine.

They want you healthy as can be before surgery. Less complications. Better outcome for you.

Good luck!

Kate

• Posted

The best thing you can do is stay with the bland soft diet. Diverticulitis and fresh vegetables and fruits don't go well.  FYI any kind of lettuce is hard for your stomach to digest and worse yet for the colon while in the Diverticulitis world. Hydrate, if you can. ..lots of walking. My world has changed so much since my surgery......but do not go crazy eating everything you want after surgery....stay on the soft foods diet for at least 6 weeks then slowly reintroducing other foods in your diet. For myself my incision is almost healed but it's going to take 6 months for my insides to completely healed. 

• Posted

Hi violets I have been on soft food diet for about 16 days and antibiotics finally got into GI doc today she put me back on regular diet said my current pain is being caused by malnutrition and antibiotics I was following my primary care physician's advice I wish you luck and if my infection comes back I will be in your situation I have had 2 infections in 2 months Best of luck to you

• Posted

I am 21 days post robotic (DaVinci) surgery.  I was only in the hospital three days.  I had many, many diverticulitis flare ups over an 8 year period, so I elected to have the surgery done after I became allergic to several antibiotics.  I figured it was time to have the surgery.  I am still very sore on the side the surgeon cut the 2 inch exit incision to remove the piece of diseased colon, but I am getting a little better (very slowly) each day.  Don't do too much, rest, drink PLENTY of water, and walk a little each day.  My son drove me to see my surgeon yesterday, and she said I was making very good progress and to not to expect my deep incision pain to completely resolve for another three to four weeks.  Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.