Robotic Removal Of Umbilical Hernia Mesh Yes or No?

Posted , 3 users are following.

On Dec. 21st 2016 I had a small umbilical hernia repair and the doctor used a 4.5" round Vertralight ST mesh. I had no time to research anything about mesh implants as I went in on Monday and had the surgery done laparoscopically on Wednesday. I believe now my hernia could have been a watched one as I had virtually no pain and it was only a tiny bulge. At any rate the doctor's talk of strangulation, etc. scared me enough to jump at the chance to get it repaired sooner than later.

So day of surgery all appears to go well. However I was in the recovery room for 4 1/2 hours due to extreme pain. Once they let me go home it was the most horrific pain I'd ever been in but I figured it was just the usual post op stuff. When I went for my 10 day post op check I mentioned all this horrible pain and doc said I was just a slow healer. Nothing wrong with the mesh. Since I am allergic to most all pain meds I was doing this cold turkey...with nothing to help me.

Flash forward now a month and 1/2. Still in pain but not as bad. However instead of all the bad pain I now start swelling. I am a smaller frame lady of 5'2". Well I had to buy maternity pants to fit over my now huge abdomen and I started to get pulling, itching, burning and other odd feelings in my lower pelvis area and across abdomen. I called and finally got in to see the doctor and he says he wants a CT scan (no contrast as I am allergic to that too). I already had an ultrasound which showed nothing but a fatty liver which I've had for years. So I have the CT Scan of my abdomen and pelvis area and they see nothing amiss. No recurrent hernia, nothing appeared out of place or so they said. Yet I still have this HUGE belly and even walk like I'm pregnant.

Then my OB-GYN doctor orders a transvaginal ultrasound to look for signs of ovarian cancer. Nothing found. Everything normal. So I write my doctor and his nurse responds that the doctor would be willing to remove my mesh but he wants to use the DaVinci robotic method. I have been reading pros and cons all over the boards on this device and many are not good. I have no idea how many of these robotic surgeries he has performed and of course I will ask him when I go for the consultation appointment on April 13, 2017, about a week away. I am starting to notice more pain and I can barely touch around my belly button area anymore as it's so sore. I am quite sure I'm highly inflamed inside.

Personally I would prefer a laparoscopic removal without DaVinci due to the many colon perforations that seem to occur from that method. It's all about the doctor's ability and I realize that. So my question is have any of you had your hernia mesh removed robotically and how well did it go for you?? Would you recommend it for removal? How long were you in surgery? They say it takes a lot longer to do the Robotic way and you are under a lot longer. Not safe.

Also has anyone else experienced this extreme bloating that I now have? Have been on a 1200 calorie a day diet thinking that might help belly but no way! I am not sure if it's a bunch of fluid but something is keeping my weight way out of whack here compared to pre-surgery. No fevers as I take my temperature every day.

Especially interested if you have had an umbilical hernia like myself. I never had a hernia previous to this so all new to me. However I did have extensive scar tissue in the area due to a previous infection surgery I had in 2005.  I am just worried the mesh might be shrinking because the doctor used absorbable tacks to place it (2 rows) and I keep feeling tugs and pulls that are not pleasant.

Since it will soon be 4 months since I had this implant I really want it out as I know I am having an allergic reaction to the foreign body inside me. I just want to make the right decision as to HOW it is removed. I am in Southeast Wisconsin, near Milwaukee, in case anyone knows of a good hernia removal surgeon in our area. Would appreciate his or her name.

Thanks and hope to hear back soon!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Linda I'm sorry to her how much pain your in I couldn't take meds at one time so I had to break 1 in half it worked I did had a umbilical hernia 23 years ago I had

no pain that I remember at all.i had a paraesophageal hiatal hernia repair on march 25 now that was painful but I'm now feeling pretty good ....that seem crazy after 4 months your still bloated and in pain I looked on the Internet for the best surgeon and low and behold I found one.... igo to the surgeon today I'm goi to ask him I no I had a type of mesh that desolves by itself my swelling is down but still just a little swollen but I went the other way on weight I gave lost 8 pounds you need to tell the dr NO I DONT WANT THE ROTIC tell him you want him to go in and fix what he has done contact your health insurance and tell them what's going on they also may be able to tell him no way on robotic....I will tell you I have a lot of pain in my neck I can barely sleep but there telling me it's from The paraesophageal surgery it was so bad I could eat but like I said before I'm going to mt surgeon today Ill ask him about a good surgeon near Milwaukee 

• Posted

Thanks so much Tammy for your help and please do let me know what you find out out a doctor. My surgery has become a nightmare and I am sick of it. Watching for your reply. Hope your doctor has good news for you too.
    • Posted

I have tried to send you the name of surgeon that my Dr recommend but for some reason it won't let it go through but he named the dr right away said he was one of the best

• Posted

i put my email address in the email and the name of the Surgeon I have no idea how to get in touch with you he is in Milwaukee 
    • Posted

It's telling me it's waiting to be modified I hope there is away to tell you the name I Wo under if there is away to ask these people to let the name go through

• Posted

Linda I'm wondering if I can send me your email I'm not sure if the page won't let my email on this or the dr name is why they won't let it go through

• Posted

Hi Tammy! I have heard of Matt Goldblatt! Believe it or not we were just on the internet last night and his name came up. So will definitely check him out! Been seeing a lot of negative issues with that DaVinci Robotic machine so not sure I want that attempted on me at all. Thank you so much for all your information and help! What state are you in??
    • Posted

I live in North Carolina the dr that did my surgery is 1 of the top surgeons in this field

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.