Rod removal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, In 2017 i met with an accident and broke my R femur and I underwent surgery and they have put a rod in my R. femur and Now its 1 and half year and bone is completely healed so i am planning for Rod removal so please help me after the rod removal how many day should i take rest? any further problems will i face,? will i limp after removing rod? this rod restricts my hip joint so couldnt able to walk faster, please suggest me.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi in theory if the rod has helped to completely heal the fracture then once it's removed you will probably have to rest the leg for a couple of weeks while the area where the rod has been removed heals, it will all be down to the surgeon to decide, if it's a good removal and it all heals correctly then it will be more or less back to normal, pre accident

• Posted

Thank you Alexandria for your suggestion and advise, So will i be able to walk and run after the removal of rod? i mean after taking 2 months of rest. Do i need crutches again?
    • Posted

Hi I would say that some sort of walking aid will be needed again after the op but once it's fully healed then so long as all goes well when they re x-ray it you should be allowed to start weight bearing exercises at the discretion of the surgeon, it want be for a while though the running.

You must never start any form of high impact exercise without prior consent

• Posted

Hi good to hear your bone has healed. Did it took 1 and a half to fully healed?

I'm wondering because my tibia bone with a rod inside still healing and it's been 1 year.

• Posted

Thank you for the response selerim, 

yes as per the reports of X ray bone is healed upto 98% when i checked in the month of May 2018. So Doctor suggested me to go for removal of Rod. so am planning to go for it. 

fractue on tibia it heals completely and quickly as per my knowledge.

Hope the reports of X ray shows us very clearly whether crack or air gap is gone or no. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.