Rolling Hiatus Hernia and the Cough

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm 75 and have had a hiatus hernia for a good many years, controlled to an extent by pantoprazole and ranitidine, and when needed, which is often, by gaviscon tabs. The enormous and frightening pain, which I thought must be similar to having a heart attack, I have practically eliminated by doing ten bridge exercises every morning.

However, the cough remains. When I haven't eaten, after I've eaten, if I've had something slightly oily. Or coffee or chocolate. When I walk up hill, or run, or jive, or perhaps worst of all, when I turn over in bed, since that wakes both me and my partner. It changes, sometimes violent, sometimes dry, but impossible to control without a gaviscon tablet. Or two, or more, sometimes, when it is really bad, or I'm trying to be quiet in the cinema!

I have met others with this condition, but in spite of my trying to open up a conversation about it, no-one wants to compare symptons, which leaves me feeling isolated. Does anyone out there have any answers, is it possible to control the cough in some way? It would change my life to be able to manage it somehow.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes I get bloating. In morning stomach flat but as day goes on, the more I eat the worse it gets.

I have worked out some trigger foods tomatoes, strawberries, oranges, fried foods.

Avoid wine also.

Get a lot of mucus too in morning after laying down.

I can go a couple of months and it seems okay then it suddenly flares up and then its pain, discomfort etc everyday for weeks on end.

I know when I am stressed its far worse.

How do you cope with it all. It does drag you down.

• Posted

hi sue yes im 72 and have suffered with all the same symptoms for almost 2yrs ive just weaned myself of all ppi s and ranatidine as i was getting awful side effects . i am coping well without all the meds just occationally gaviacon . it stopped all the coughing just like the coughing you have. But unfortunately my coughing has come back . I vomited three times per day this week . before i was diognosed with gerd they treated me asthma meds with did help stop the cough , but stopped working hence the reason for ppis . I have just started the asthma (brown ) inhaler and cough has eased ,but early days yet. its awful this condition this gerd no magic cure as yet . coughing in public then gagging and throwing up is not funny its very embarrassing . But dont feel alone there are many like us . you can speak to me any time you like . ill let you know if the inhalers stops the cough

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.