ROM after orif

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I am 3 1/2 weeks post ORIF after bimalleolar ankle fracture and I am starting gentle range of movement exercise at home - i can take my foot out of the boot and do gentle movements. The doctor told me to do this but I havent started any PT sessions yet. When I am doing the exercises my ankle feels very stiff but I can move with bearable discomfort a little way - foot moving up and down, toes pointing up towards my foot and down, a little way side to side as well. I don’t push it until it hurts too much but after that my ankle really hurts and aches. Can anyone tell me should I take painkillers again or do you think something like a local painkilling cream on my ankle would work to stop the pain, if so can anyone recommend a good pain killing cream?

Thanks in advance for any advice x

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

hello, i am also struggling with a very stiff ankle. i had orif surgery 6.5 weeks ago and my consultant has just removed my cast but i cannot weight bare for another 2 weeks but they have said i can try and move my ankle up and down but it seems to be stuck! if i try and move it up and down its painful and i worry its going to be stuck like this. i havent been given a boot i just have bandages to cover my insicions which still havent healed either!

• Posted

hi Kayleighrose1

Yes, the ankle does feel stiff but i am doing gentle movements 2 to 3 times a day and rubbimg on Physio cream on the muscles to ease my calf. The movement is improving slowlybut my big toe and the toe nextto it dont bend very far down at all, much less than they used to. Hoping things will get better. Keep going and good luck. x

• Edited

The Voltaren cream is an effective anti-inflammatory. Mind the directions because you can over do it.

Try Ice and OTC pain relievers first. If that doesn't work let your doctor know. I think moving the joint is frequently expected to need some help from pain meds but the last thing I want to deal with is an addiction problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.