ROM after PKR

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am 4 weeks post op from a pkr and my knee is so stiff my range of motion is barely above 70. Has anyone else experienced this? I am doing all of excersizes and PT and it doesn't seem to be improving? Will I have to have a manipulation or will time continue to improve my ROM?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hope you are doing better!  These are very good questions for your doctor and PT!  Sometimes recovery takes a bit longer.  Do not give up!  Keep following your pain management and icing or heating protocols!  Chin up, hang in there!  You can do it!
  • Posted

Hi Lizzie

I had several knee surgeries years ago due to ligament injuries and also had ACL reconstruction. I had the same problem ...the ROM was terrible after the surgeries and I could barely reach 80 degrees despite all the exercises and physio sessions. I then moved on and was doing everyday activities without giving a big thought to the flexion and the degrees. Eventually i started cycling and swimming and these activities really helped me alot. Over the time I reached 120 degrees but I could not go beyond that. Knee is a complex joint and if injured it takes time to heal. If the joint is free than the restrictions in the ROM are due to lack of movement and stiffness after the surgery. It will get better but it will take time . I think I needed more then a year to notice improvement

Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.