ROM exceeds 120° after partial knee replacement

Posted , 3 users are following.

Is their something that can be done to help my right knee joint from continuing to hyper extend when walking , climbing stairs, even just standing from sitting position can cause it to happen. Other then very painful when it happens it causes the bones to become unlined feeling making walking , or even putting any weight on joint is painfully impossible until I am able to swing the joint loose I'm guessing is what u can call it.. once able to walk on it I have to mentally think of my steps so not to "lock it"back up..

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

This is caused by a weakness in your quad and hamstring muscles. Keep working on making them stronger. It will get back to normal but it takes hard work, patience and time. Good luck.
  • Posted

Not sure what you mean...  My ROM is up to 0 / +133 after 10 months.  +166 means that your heel can touch your butt.  Hyperextension would mean that you are going past zero when you straighten your leg.  Is that the case?  Bending flexion should be at least +120 as a goal.  So which is it?

Also listen to Jen...regaining strength in your legs only comes with time and hard work.  Quads, glutes and core all have to be rebuilt.  Not easy.  We're all experiencing the same thing...

• Posted

When extending the full 120 just flat I know you will continue to go up towards my forehead and about a -5
    • Posted

I have full range of motion normal degrees but I have more than enough when it comes to extending my leg and trying to walk
    • Posted

I understand strengthening quads the core and what not I understand that completely Physical Therapy made sure of that .. even with strength and conditioning the joint seems to not lock like in a typical step naturally uses..idk if I'm describing it right

• Posted

It takes weeks and months to get your muscles back and working. I had bilateral tkr in the summer. Try it for a week and see if there is any difference.
    • Posted

Did I not mention I'm on the far end of 2 yrs after replacement?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.