ROM issue after 5 weeks post op surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am having problems with hitting my range of motion goal of 120. I am out 5 weeks from surgery and finally got to 103. The problem is during both physical therapy and home exercises, I struggle to get more than 5 degrees from my last measurement. It is very difficult to get more bend because it feels like my knee won't bend any further back. I have noticed my kneecap is numb on one side and the other side feels like twinges of electricity shooting through the side of my kneecap when I am stretching. I am taking both tramadol and oxycodone as directed but it has not helped with the stiffness during physical therapy. I do not have any noticeable swelling in my knee or feet but do ice and elevate. I can walk without my cane but do use it for support when I am out and about. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I can do different to meet my surgeon's expectations of getting to 120 degrees ROM?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I had a left TKR in 2015 and three weeks ago had a right TKR. I have had excessive swelling in both and according to my notes the new left knee wouldn't go beyond 90 deg for about two months. After then the swelling gradually reduced and the ROM improved. It now moves 0-125 deg with no problems at all. It looks to me that the new right one is doing just the same. I think my message is that in my experience all is not lost if the leg won't move as far as you want in the early weeks, in time mine sorted itself out. Good luck Allan.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.