ROM not improving after 9 weeks

Posted , 6 users are following.

It's been 9 weeks and while I feel I am getting around ok (still can't go foot over foot downstairs), my ROM is only 110 for knee bend and 4-7 for straightening. I am going to my PT and doing excercises at home, but I can't get my knee to straighten out more or my knee to bend more. Is this common? are there any other suggestions? I don't want to go around with a slight bend in my knee when I walk forever.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Kathleen, I feel your pain....seriously.  I am almost eight weeks out, and I have the same problem.  I am not happy you are having the same problem, but I am glad to know there are other people out there who are still concerned with this.  I have a very swollen knee, and my knee does not straighten either..about a  5 ...  I think that patience is the key.  I don't want to force it because then it hurts more.  I walk around but long walks hurt, and I definitely limp. I am hoping that a few more weeks make a difference.  I had a TKR on my other knee seven months ago, and although it hurts still, it can bend!

• Posted

Hi Kathleen

Have you tried massaging your knee I always did mine morning and night I did while rubbing e 45 lotion into it this should help break the scar tissue Down

I also used a elasticated exercise band if you look on YouTube there are some great exercises good luck.

• Posted

Hi I’ve just passed the 5 months after having rtkr. It is a struggle and although I have good days there are still bad days where I struggle just walking and my knee and ankle can still be swollen by the end of day.  I can straighten my leg out now . Some days I have to go down stairs one leg at a time m. Keep up the excercises and walking it does help.  Be patient and if I’ve learnt anything is only do what you feel comfortable with. xxx
  • Posted

I felt rather “stuck” in my recovery at about 9 weeks (now 11). I’m a former physical therapist so I knew some of what was missing regarding movement. Found this link and started doing these exercises... increased my walking ability immediately. My therapist didn’t even know these exercises, but they add a gentle rotational component to your rehab. The knee normally rotates a small amount.  See if you can access the link: 

http://www.scottgraypt.com/strategies-increase-knee-extension-part-one/

If not - just Google - Scott Gray, PT - increasing knee extension

Hope it helps!

• Posted

Thank you for the link! I went to pt today and we still had trouble getting my leg to bend beyond 110. She thinks there may be an adhesion pr scar tissue. I look forward to viewing the link and trying out the excercises.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.