ROM tips

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I am coming off a tibia and fibula break that required 12 screws and a plate. Today I got my cast off after 2 months and am having no trouble walking or weight baring in the Air cast boot. The only issue I am having is my range of motion. My doctor said to spell the abc's with my ankle using my big toe as a "Pencil", the only issue is my ankle is very stiff and I can only move it up and down. Does anyone have any tips to loosen it up? Or possibly exercises that you used that helped. Thank you for your time.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. Check out some vids done by 2 phys therapists "bob and brad" on youtube. Specifically the ones regarding ankles. These guys are great! Easy to follow. -Di

• Posted

I had an ankle replacement 8 weeks ago and just started walking and I started my first therapy session today. I have some stiffness also. They had me doing slow gentle range of motion exercises and stretching. I will progress with strength building exercises after awhile. Good luck!!

• Posted

Good luck to you as well! After a full day of walking on it and loosening it up with exercises its feeling great. Hope you have a speedy recovery. Take care

• Posted

I did my grocery shopping by myself today after therapy and I did it without an assistive device. I'm paying for it tonight though!! My motto is just one day at a time!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.